Hypersensitive ears/thunder sound/vibrations

I’ve always had “bat like” hearing, but during my TN/ATN attacks I am so sensitive to sound it’s almost deafening! I geta deep rumble in my cranium, pain in affected side, and vibration pulses that seem so magnified i almost feel deaf after a while. I had my auditory nerves checked in an MRI and hearing checked- all is well, doc thinks i have “Perceived hearing loss” during attacks, in which i only feel vibrations, not fine pitched noise, hence the rumble. Does anyone else get this?? I’m going batty! No meds help it, just siting some where in quiet outdoors. It’s so odd, especially considering I’m one of those people that can usually literally hear the electricity in the walls. Ugh!

Hi bhamilton320,

Here's a link to a previous hearing-related thread from a couple of months ago. I have aural anomalies that drive me crazy also and think Hypercusis (was a new term to me in November) related searches may help you...Please let me know if you found anything useful to you.

http://www.livingwithtn.org/forum/topics/hypercusis?xg_source=activity

Blessings, Rick

When my attacks are bad, everything echoes in my head, Noise in general echo in my head, I have put ear plugs in along with a ear muffs on trying to lessen the sound.

hey bhamilton320

I usually get 'fog horns' before an attack / flare up...they usually start in the morning when I get up and I an unfortunately 'IN FOR IT' for the duration! Bless your heart - my ear also hurts during other times of flare ups...

It is a curse to be able to hear VERY well; isn't it!

Cris

Thanks for replies!

I am not sure what is going on, but I also developed dizziness, tingly scalp, disorientation, numb hands, and increased TN pain since I posted this... I am guessing I will wait for the results form my Mayo tests in two weeks. Also, I see my local neuro monday, since my ENT does not think it's ear related but really neurological signals messed up. For now I am bed ridden... fun... hugs to you all!

bhamilton320 said:

Thanks for replies!

I am not sure what is going on, but I also developed dizziness, tingly scalp, disorientation, numb hands, and increased TN pain since I posted this... I am guessing I will wait for the results form my Mayo tests in two weeks. Also, I see my local neuro monday, since my ENT does not think it's ear related but really neurological signals messed up. For now I am bed ridden... fun... hugs to you all!

I don’t have this issue but my dear friend that also has TN had this issue very bad. She ended up going to the doctor and getting ear plugs (like musicians wear) to drown out the high pitch noises. It has been a true life saver for her. Hope it helps. And I know you can go to your doc to get a referral to an ENT doc to help you get them!

I’ve always had extremely good hearing also. It was my superpower. LoL Then the ear pain and dizziness started. Then noise started bothering me to the point that it would cause terrible headaches and make my TN worse. Nothing helped. Before having my MVD done for TN this past Nov, I mentioned all of this to my NS and he said he’d look around when he went in. He found something right away. An artery was compressing my vestibulocochlear nerve (8th cranial nerve). I had compressions of the 5th (TN) and the 7th as well, but I was told the 8th is the one that is responsible for transmitting sound and equilibrium signals to the brain. The ear pain, sensitivity and dizziness is gone.