Hi everyone!

Hi, all.

I'm really glad this community is here, and I wanted to post a message and say hello. I'm also eager to hear other people's stories, and find out if anyone's had experiences similar to mine.

I was only recently-- last week --diagnosed with TN, but I've been dealing with it since I was ten or twelve. I remember what I believe to be the first attack very vividly. I also remember thinking I was "sick" when I was little. I got very depressed because I thought I would be sick forever. My mother often had to pick me up from school. When I was in second grade, I knew it was coming-- whatever it was --so I would tell my mom, but she made me to go school anyway. Thinking back, I believe the cold air and wind on the way to the school bus, and the cold air in the bus, triggered the TN and caused the pain. Then it would get so bad I would vomit, and my mom would have to come get me.

We never went to a doctor, partly because I'm not sure we had insurance, but mostly because my mom doesn't trust doctors.

Since then, the intensity of the pain and how long it lasts has gotten worse. I get stabbing pain that incapacitates me completely, but recently it's been causing panic attacks, I think because I was just terrified I didn't know what was happening to me. The last few times, I had a fit and went completely nuts. I just can't sit still, and I lose it. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this-- usually, I get the pain for a month once a year. So for most of the year, I'm okay, then without warning, I'm in pain for a month. The month is never the same. I've always had faith that it would stop after a month, just because it always had, but now that I know what it is, and the pain seems to be more continuous and worse, I'm scared it'll go for longer. Now, instead of having an attack and being okay for a day, I have an attack, but then I get mild pain or a continuous "small" stabbing pain, or "boring" pain like someone is pushing a screwdriver into my head. I can almost function with this kind of pain, but not quite.

The neurologist put me on Effexor to start with, and I'm wondering why he didn't put me on something else for nerves.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, with it lasting a month? I should also note that throughout the year I am always careful with wind-- I always assumed I had "sensitive ears" so I wear ear muffs a lot. I live in South Florida, so I do get funny looks when I go running in shorts, a tank top, and ear muffs.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long post. I guess I'm just looking for emotional support and friendship. I'm scared out of my mind, which I know isn't making anything better.

Thanks for listening.

Rosa Sophia

Don't feel bad. This is a great place to share. I have just started out too and wonder if it will e ever get better.I believe it will someday so hang in there, and until then remember you're alone.

Hi Rosa, Your story is like so many others here. Keep posting, reading, joining in discussions and you will learn a lot that will help you fight this monster. You are no longer alone in this, and LWTN has many members that are here to help and support you. Again welcome. I wish you many pain free days.

Scott

Thank you so much for replies and encouragement. Right after I posted I had a terrible attack. I'm praying for relief. Thanks again. So grateful to be here.

Sorry, I meant you're not alone. I have fat fingers sometimes...
houston man said:

Don't feel bad. This is a great place to share. I have just started out too and wonder if it will e ever get better.I believe it will someday so hang in there, and until then remember you're alone.

Aww, thank you Houston man... :-)

I assumed that was what you meant. It feels good knowing I'm not alone. Finally someone understands what I'm going through!

houston man said:

Sorry, I meant you're not alone. I have fat fingers sometimes...
houston man said:

Ask on the phone to have nurse be called in a tube of lido cream for your face! You can get it same day at Walgreen…if your reg, GP is your doc…they can make the same prescription in for you…tell them much pain attack and need lidocream! ASAP!

Ask your dr why Effexor…I have a long list I copied from here…and that is one listed here but not usually the FIRST med that is given. You are the customer…ask when it’s supposed to work!

Ask when or if you should try a different med…or add a med to that one… The more you get educated on this life long fight, the more you will learn, the better you will feel.

Does your doctor have other TN patients?

Also get this…STRIKING BACK BY DR KEN CASEY…it’s the book that helps us this much!

Library or buy it. This is progressive and will get worth as you get older as you are now having most problems…keep posting here to us!

Thank you for your suggestions. What is lido cream? I have never heard of it.

I am going to make up a list of questions to ask my doctor when I see him. My doctor does have other TN patients, but they're all in their eighties. I'm 27, which I guess is rare. I'm thinking maybe he prescribed Effexor because I'm paying out of pocket and it was cheaper. I've never been on medication before, and I'm having a really hard time adjusting.

I actually just requested that book at the library, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Does TN always get worse? It has gotten worse since I was a kid. I am scared . . .

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Ask on the phone to have nurse be called in a tube of lido cream for your face! You can get it same day at Walgreen.......if your reg, GP is your doc....they can make the same prescription in for you...tell them much pain attack and need lidocream! ASAP!

Ask your dr why Effexor.......I have a long list I copied from here.....and that is one listed here but not usually the FIRST med that is given. You are the customer.....ask when it's supposed to work!

Ask when or if you should try a different med.....or add a med to that one..... The more you get educated on this life long fight, the more you will learn, the better you will feel.

Does your doctor have other TN patients?

Also get this......STRIKING BACK BY DR KEN CASEY......it's the book that helps us this much!

Library or buy it. This is progressive and will get worth as you get older as you are now having most problems........keep posting here to us!

Yes honey it gets worse… But that’s why you need to learn much…lidocaine prescription you put on your face and it stops or dulls pain right now…works for most…prescription…get a first small tube and see what happens.

If inside mouth hurts…you can get numbing baby oragel…Adults…no prescription

Try warm dry or warm wet cloth too for now

Oy. :-(

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to try that for sure. I have used a hot cloth before, even in the past, when I didn't know what it was. My pain is more in my cheek, so I always thought I had sinus problems. I thought the relief from the hot cloth was because whatever was in my sinuses was loosening up.

Thanks for letting me know about the lidocaine. I'm definitely going to have to get some of that.

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Yes honey it gets worse..... But that's why you need to learn much.......lidocaine prescription you put on your face and it stops or dulls pain right now.....works for most.....prescription......get a first small tube and see what happens.

If inside mouth hurts.....you can get numbing baby oragel.....Adults......no prescription

Try warm dry or warm wet cloth too for now

Welcome Rosysofia. I've learned so much here and I'm sure you will too. It really helps to hear from others with the stories. Take good care.

Thank you Hope . . . I like your name. :-) It's good to have hope. ;-)

Hope said:

Welcome Rosysofia. I've learned so much here and I'm sure you will too. It really helps to hear from others with the stories. Take good care.