Gum pain

I had my entire top teeth take out because they became severally infected over time. I have had TN pain 1 and 2 of the middle nerve for the past 2 years.
My question is has anyone that has no top teeth experienced the feeling like they still have their teeth and they hurt like you have an exposed nerve?
I am unsure if this is TN pain or some kind of phantom pain.

The term "phantom pain" is not always particularly precise or helpful, Amy. But one of the more useful interpretations of the term is "pain caused by alterations in the brain or central nervous system rather than by specific injury in areas served by peripheral nerve distribution". With major extractions of all your top teeth, there would have been ample opportunity for anesthetic injections or physical damage to the jaw or both to cause injury to the nerve which serves that area of the face and mouth. Your mixture of stabbing electric shock pain (TN-1) and more continuous achy/burning pain (TN-2) might tend to confirm that insight.

In any event, from reading and from talking with patients for many years, I would expect a neurologist to prescribe an anti-seizure drug like Tegretol or a TCA drug like Amitriptyline (or perhaps both) in an attempt to manage your pain. What meds are you on and how well have they helped?

FYI: I am a well read medical layman who has supported chronic face pain patients for 20 years with online research and writing. I am not a medical doctor.

Go in Peace and Power

Red

I take amitryptoline, neurontin and tegretol. All for the different reasons and all at max doses. They help all three reasons but this gum shocking is still a problem

At MAX DOSES? I'm amazed you can get out of bed in the morning. I hope you're having blood work done on a regular basis, as these meds in high doses can cause problems with Sodium level.

Amy Salisbury said:

I take amitryptoline, neurontin and tegretol. All for the different reasons and all at max doses. They help all three reasons but this gum shocking is still a problem

I have all my teeth but just wanted to say I’m type 2 and have gum pain along with teeth pain