Getting to sleep with TN

Dear friends,

Is it just me, or at times of on/off pain - do others here have trouble getting to sleep? For instance; pain goes away, I lay my head on my pillow in a “safe” position (no trigger area - saying that, my TN isn’t necessarily cued by triggers) and am unable to get to sleep due to the act of laying my head down causing more and more pain.

I can only relieve this pain by sitting up and putting my backside in a chair where my head cannot touch anything.

So does this happen to anyone else?

I have just spent the entire of last night this - well persisted in trying to get to sleep for over the last 6 hours.

Cheers Kerry (aka Ko)

I too have to deal with this problem. My neuro says that it’s because your blood pressure rises when you lay down that it can cause more pain.

Hi Ho Ko,

Long time no moan!

I’m OK as long as I lay on my right side. As soon as I turn on my left side zappers!

As you can imagine I wake up lots of times during the night just because I turn over. We have a barrier of pillows down the middle of the bed ( makes for a romantic atmosphere! ) because even my husband breathing on my cheek can set it off. I try and get wedged against them laying on my right side but it is not very successful.

I hope you get a better sleep tonight!

Love Ho Jo X x

I have an oxygen machine next to my bed because my attacks always occur when I’m sleeping. When I wake up with an attack, I put on the mask and crank up the oxygen machine and wait it out. If it doesn’t go away in a few minutes, I get my Imitrex nasal spray and use it.
For some reason, the oxygen seems to calm the Trigeminal nerve.