Getting back into balance

I've had some heavyweight reading trying to get to grips with the Myofascial Release Manual. Without a PhD in physiotherapy it's a struggle to understand. However I have had a few insights.

I think I've alreadydetermined that the pain is travelling through the muscles and connective tissue [fascia] which lie in "onion " layers. Releasing the pain or tightness at one site through stretching or pressure can send it elsewhere throughout the layers to a different site. For example, releasing my shoulder can send the pain back into my jaw and into my head.

I'm now learning to pay more attention to being in balance;- a tight hunched shoulder or general poor posture will bring tightness and create bodily tensions. By increasingly exercising muscles [hand weights, stretch bands, back strengthening etc] I hope that I can re-educate the muscles and neurological pathways. TMJ and facial exercises are strengthening the jaw.

At the same time, by using trigger-point therapy and stretching I can relax tension in the soft tissues. It needs a two-pronged approach of strengthening and release.

I'm aware that I can do all these things because my symptoms are much less. Now I have some daily discomfort but far less pain. My dentist has referred me to an oral sugeon in July. I'll keep the appointment but I'm hoping that I will have few symptoms by then.