Gamma Radiation

Has anyone had this treatment for TN? My husband had surgery about 4-5 years ago and it came back but the meds aren't working anymore (neurontin & tegretol), so they're going to try Gamma radiation and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if it worked well.

Donna
I would post this as a discussion topic rather than on your blog. more people are likely to see it & respond. just a thought…

thanks, i'm rather new to blogs and posts, so i appreciate the help!

hi, my husband had the gamma done in april it worked for 2 days and that was it. he is still taking lyrica for the pain on the outside of his face. he took tramidol but it didnt work. he had to increase tegradol . on june 11th he had a numbing procedure done. it worked for a week. then he had another one donejune 18th. it worked for a day .the numbing procedure in when they numb the trigeminal nerve in different places. it still didnt work. he can only drink thru a straw , so i make him shakes. he is getting this done thru a pain clinic. the gamma knife was done in dayton. i have to call the pain clinic back and schedulke another numbing appointment.

I am just new to this site, so hope I’m not too late… I had Stereotactic Radiation Surgery at the Mayo clinician May, 2011. Even though it wasn’t successful, no reduction in pain in all three nerves of my face (T1, T2, and T3), they thought because of my MS, the neurosurgeon was very clear to say, at least in my case, that if I had anything more done such as gamma knife or glycerol shots, I would wind up with painful, awful blindness. So be careful!! It might be just my case but please check it out. Suffering from TN pain is horrible, but it would be awful to add more fuel to the fire.