Driving after MVD

Hi, all, just wondering (as it is looking more likely I will end up with an MVD - just awaiting an appointment with an ENT to make sure there isn't anything going on in the ear, given my long history), how long after MVD before people were driving? Running, if a runner?

I really am curious what to expect. And hoping to stop having this stupid pain!

Thanks. Linda

You probably won’t be able to drive for two to three weeks after the surgery. I’m not a runner, but based on my recovery, I would say at least a month before you can start again. I have had MVD for Trigeminal neuralgia on both my right and left sides, and the most important thing you can do during your recovery period is rest!
Feel free to ask my any questions you may have.
Best of luck!
Christine

Hi Christine,

I'm going to be having MVD this fall and I'm so scared!

Could you share a bit more about your recovery? I live on my own and am wondering how much care I'll require after I return from the hospital.

How long before you were eating normally again?

How long before you were up walking around? How long did you take off work?

Sorry for all the questions, I would love to learn more about your road to recovery if you have time.

Thank you from one anxious person! : )

Hello!
I am more than happy to answer your questions. As I said previously, I have had MVD for TN and both my right and left sides, and both were virtually identical as far as recover you goes. I had the surgery on Friday, and was released from the hospital on Sunday. I was weak, tired and a bit off balanced. I did have surgical pain, but it was not awful. I had my surgeries out of state, but was fortunate enough to have a sister is hat lives quite near the hospital. I stayed with her until the Fridt following the surgeries, and then flew home. During the week I spent at my sisters, I got as much rest as possible. It was very uncomfortable to lie flat, so I slept in a recliner. I continued to sleep in a recliner for about three weeks after surgery.
I didn’t have too many issues with eating at all. The first day in the hospital, I was limited to a liquid, and then a soft food diet, but other than that I had no issues. I was up and walking around very quickly. I was able to use the restroom, as long as a nurse walked with me, on my own the same day as the surgery. Again, I was weak and unbalanced, so walking unassisted took me about two to three days.
I am self-employed, and all my work is on the computer, so I was able to work the third day after surgery.
You absolutely need to have someone stay with you for at least the first two weeks after surgery. Resting is the most important thing you can do to recover well. You will not be able to lift anything heavier than a half gallon of milk, or drive, or do any kind of housework for at least that time period. I also felt more comfortable taking a shower if someone was home.
I really did not need that much help taking care of myself, but I definitely wouldn’t have been
Wanted to behome alone.
Please bear in mind that everyone’s experience is different. I happen to recover very well, and am not very good at accepting help! With that being said, I was very happy with the results of my surgeries, and would highly recommend it to anyone who is a good candidate, and is going to a surgery who has a lot of experience with the procedure.
Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!
Christine

niknak_6 said:

Hi Christine,

I’m going to be having MVD this fall and I’m so scared!

Could you share a bit more about your recovery? I live on my own and am wondering how much care I’ll require after I return from the hospital.

How long before you were eating normally again?

How long before you were up walking around? How long did you take off work?

Sorry for all the questions, I would love to learn more about your road to recovery if you have time.

Thank you from one anxious person! : )