Do more people wake up TN pain free and if not how long is the average for pain to subside

I had MVD surgery 10/2012 and wondering if more people wake up TN pain free than those still having pain for months following surgery? I had two compressions. One vein which was wrapped around the nerve which was cauterized and removed along with an arterial compression. Neurosurgeon said it could take up to a year to heal. I would like also like to know from those who had MVD and pain after surgery what is the average time it took before TN pain subsided. Thanks

This may depend on how long you have had TN and if you had any other procedures. My MVD was on 12/21/12. I have not had pain other than a few twinges that would not be a 1 on the pain scale. My first TN jolts were in the Spring so I did not wait very long to have the surgery.

My surgery was done on this past Nov. I had been having TN and ATN pain of all 3 branches for 5 years. I woke up from surgery (I had 3 nerves compressed by 2 arteries) and some of the pain was completely gone. I believe it was the eye pain that I noticed was gone right after I woke up. Every day that first week I’d notice another pain gone: teeth, then nostril, then the jaw. The last of the ATN pain was gone after a month. Now, 2 1/2 months later, I get the occassional shock, but nothing horrific. I’d say they’re about 90% gone. Dr says I might stay this way or keep improving. I was told it could take up to a year.

I had MVD Oct. 18. My pain had been under control for 3 months prior to the surgery, due to the Lyrica I was taking. After surgery, I weaned off the Lyrica and have had no pain. I suppose we all respond individually.

I hope you are doing well.

I had my MVD 11/12 and am still in some pain. Trying to wean off drugs but may be pushing it. Front teeth are very sensitive and mornings are very hard. Not eating just having smoothies and coffee of course lol. Hope things are going well for you ;)

Linda

I am wondering also about pain after MVD. My MVD was 12/12 and I had been totally pain free for a few months previously. Then after surgery I also was fine until I weaned off all my drugs. This morning the pain came back. Could this pain be temporary? Does anyone know? Thanks, Mary

I just went to NS for check-up...3 1/2 months post MVD. He told him basically what everyone here on the blog says. I quote" Some people wake up from MVD surgery without pain and some wake up with pain. One way or another it does not mean that the surgery was a failure. It can take 6 months to a year to heal. If you have pain you can go back on meds for that time period ( a low dose). Between the manipulation, inflammation and demylination pain can occur" I still have episodes but will not go back on Neurontin. When I have an episode I just keep telling myself "its healing" this is a good thing. You must stay POSITIVE. Don't let this terrible disease control your mind. Also, I was told from someone on the site about applying Peppermint Essential Oil to my face. It feels wonderful. I place a few drops on a warm wet face cloth and apply to my cheek where I have the pain. Just DO NOT GET IT NEAR YOUR EYES WHATEVER YOU DO. It will burn your eyes badly. If you have questions call your NS. That is what he is there for!!!!!!

Thank you Mat, your answer above helped ENORMOUSLY. When the pain came back today I was about ready to freak out thinking I should never have had the surgery. Staying positive is crucial. I can get depressed over all this very easily, and that dark feeling is worse than the pain itself! I will take just a low dose of Gabapentin and assume it will eventually calm down. I also like your attitude that the episodes are part of healing and that you don't necessarily have to do anything. This site is so helpful, I so appreciate your reply.

Hi Matt, I just wanted to reply to this discussion from several months ago about continued TN pain after an MVD. I want to agree that patience is the main attitude to have. I am now completely pain free but I had to wait several months and continued on medication until slowly tapering off. Sometimes nerves have a memory and have to have time to settle down and heal

. Anyway, good advice from you! Thanks again, Mary

mat said:

I just went to NS for check-up...3 1/2 months post MVD. He told him basically what everyone here on the blog says. I quote" Some people wake up from MVD surgery without pain and some wake up with pain. One way or another it does not mean that the surgery was a failure. It can take 6 months to a year to heal. If you have pain you can go back on meds for that time period ( a low dose). Between the manipulation, inflammation and demylination pain can occur" I still have episodes but will not go back on Neurontin. When I have an episode I just keep telling myself "its healing" this is a good thing. You must stay POSITIVE. Don't let this terrible disease control your mind. Also, I was told from someone on the site about applying Peppermint Essential Oil to my face. It feels wonderful. I place a few drops on a warm wet face cloth and apply to my cheek where I have the pain. Just DO NOT GET IT NEAR YOUR EYES WHATEVER YOU DO. It will burn your eyes badly. If you have questions call your NS. That is what he is there for!!!!!!