Clean MRI

I had my yearly MRI this week. The report stated that some polyps were detected but nothing pertaining to TN. I know that can be typical results. I do get worried that my doctor will not take me seriously. As you can't "see" TN like you can a broken bone, I feel that people are more likely to judge me. Do others find this true as well?

If your doctor will not take you seriously -- say bye bye

You need to find one that totally understands compressions are only found sometimes on MRI

My neurosurgeon - who has probably been doing these longer than any other one at this time -- does not use MRI for a tool.... he uses patient story / McGill pain scale (google it) and the fact that the meds don't work or the meds take quality of life away. That is his list to = MVD time.

I hope you find a doc that believes in you - the more you learn - the more you will know who to listen to - the doctor's sometimes just don't have the education on this.....and that's okay -- but please self advocate.....

also google images: Trigeminal Neuralgia and Atypical face pain - show your family and friends which one looks like your pain.

keep posting!

I am on alot of medications. I had the MVD surgery and the gamma knife. My side effect is that I lose all feeling on half of my face. The TN pain, pressure, electrical shocking is still there. I just can't feel a touch or a kiss.

I am presently seeking a neurologist. My physician is fantastic and is working hard for me. I think I am going through a depression cycle. It just seems overwhelming some days!!

shindig said:

Yeah people don't understand what they can't see. Do you see the neurologist and work towards treating the pain? If not you should try another one until you do. A good neurologist would try various meds to see if anything works, it takes a lot of time.

It was my 3rd MRI that pointed out compressions, they were obvious on the first 2 but nobody pointed them out. Now that I have a cool scar from MVD surgery I get all kinds of sympathy and it's nothing compared to living with TN. When you tell people that they realize you were in pain.