Chiropractor to treat GPN

Has anyone gone to a chiropractor to help with the pain of GPN? If yes how was it treated and was it successful.

Thank you Kala

I see an Upper Cervical Chiropractor that uses the Atlas Orthogonal technique. The only bone in the body that they manipulate is the atlas (C1). It is a very gentle, precise procedure - no cracking or popping - and requires a complete set of xrays from which they calculate vector, angle and force to manipulate the atlas. Regular chiros can not do this type of treatment. It has worked well for me. I,ve never had to take any zombie drugs. I,ve had a recurrence of pain twice, both times following an accidental blow to my head which caused me to lose my alignment. The pain went away a few weeks after being realigned. As long as I maintain myalignment I have no pain. Maggie O. on the Facial Pain Network moderates a thread on Upper Cervical Chiro (UCC) and will look up a certified chiro in this technique that is in your state for you if you ask her.

Thank you Sherie for the information it is very helpful. I have been trying more aggressively to get my pain under control. It has subsided over the past month as I have been seeing a acupuncturaist weekly and most recently have gone for a massage. Yesterday I did see a chiropractor who indicated that the GPN could be aggrevated by muscle tension and gave my some exercises to do on a daily basis (and suggested I determine what is causing stress in my life, which is probable due in part to the GPN - vicious cycle).

Thanks again for the info. When I see my chiro again I will share with him.

Sherie said:

I see an Upper Cervical Chiropractor that uses the Atlas Orthogonal technique. The only bone in the body that they manipulate is the atlas (C1). It is a very gentle, precise procedure - no cracking or popping - and requires a complete set of xrays from which they calculate vector, angle and force to manipulate the atlas. Regular chiros can not do this type of treatment. It has worked well for me. I,ve never had to take any zombie drugs. I,ve had a recurrence of pain twice, both times following an accidental blow to my head which caused me to lose my alignment. The pain went away a few weeks after being realigned. As long as I maintain myalignment I have no pain. Maggie O. on the Facial Pain Network moderates a thread on Upper Cervical Chiro (UCC) and will look up a certified chiro in this technique that is in your state for you if you ask her.

Kala, I just read Sherie's reply to you. I too visit an upper cervical chiropractor. Although, it has not cured the GPN, it has diminished the pain. I agree with her information and definately feel it is worth trying. It really has really helped me.

Thanks Nancy. Can you tell me how long and how often you see the chiropractor?

Nancy Jo said:

Kala, I just read Sherie's reply to you. I too visit an upper cervical chiropractor. Although, it has not cured the GPN, it has diminished the pain. I agree with her information and definately feel it is worth trying. It really has really helped me.

When i first began treatment I went three times the first week (after my complete work up with digital xrays and vector analysis). I went twice a week during the second and third week. I was holding the correction quite well by the fourth week and totally pain free. I then started seeing him over longer intervals (4-6 weeks apart). Many folks that use this alternative treatment and post on the facial pain network say that after their initial month they only need to go back to get checked three or four times a year.

I hit my head quite hard this past July and began having terrible pain two days later. I had lost my C1 alignment and it required several visits over a two week period to hold the adjustment again. My pain was gone a week later.

I hit my head again several weeks ago (concussion even) and lost the alignment again. My shocks came back. After three weeks of adjustments that wouldn’t hold, my doctor decided to re-xray today. He will computer analyze them tonight, make all the measurements/ calculations and decide if the vector needs changed. I,ll see him tomorrow for results and to be adjusted. Regular chiropractors can NOT do this type of adjustment. check out my upper cervical doc’s website at www.myshortleg.com. Type in your name or “guest” and it will give you access to see his interactive diagrams regarding this type of chiropractic.