Changing meds

transitioning from tegretol to trileptal. Having breakthrough pain...is this to be expected? Side effects of tegretol were too much to deal with

How long were you taking Tegretol? The first two weeks are the hardest…
I am taking Cabsmapezine, which is the genetic… I itch at night and feel a bit drousy… I am on 300 mg, I now have tn1 since march… I endured one month of bad electric shocks but the drugs mellowed everything… Now I have some numbness which is pretty constant… I hope the new drug works for you, but you need to give the process time for your body to get used to the drug… Keep us posted, good luck. john r

Breakthrough "might" be normal if you've just started Trileptal. You posted this on June 3. If you're still having breakthrough I would think you've been back to your dr. by now. If you're still having it and haven't seen the dr. call him. He may up the dosage. The neuros are there to help you. Most of them KNOW how bad TN is......if they've had real experience with TN patients. Remember this, and this is coming from someone who's had TN since '99. Give the dr. time to find out what works. If eventually your pain is not going away or lessening, see another neuro. All neuros are not equal...just like the rest of us.

Yes, I am afraid break through pain can happened when switching meds. However, if this is still occurring after 3 days or so see your Dr. I hear you about Tegretol...horrid stuff. When I came off it I and no memory of an entire month!!!

I don't have personal experience with trileptal. It took a combination of gabapentin and amitriptyline to control my pain. Sometimes more than one drug is necessary.

Hope you find something that works for you.

YES BUT IF IT CONTINUES AFTER YOU BEEN ON IT AWHILE THAN LET YOUR DR KNOW. SOMETIMES YOU NEED ANOTHER MED TO COVER THE BREAK THROUGH PAIN. MY PAIN IS CONTROLLED WITH NEUROTIN, LORTAB ABD BETA BLOCKER.

BLESSINGS FOR PAIN FREE DAYS.

Good luck with the trileptal. Tegratol is the only med that helps my father; he has been on and off of it for close to 40 years now. I find the memory loss comment interesting. I don't think his memory is quite what it should be, but he is also 68. I have only been able to closely watch him for the last 6 years, when they moved into town from an hour away.

I have been on they’re told for 16 yrs ,but in also take neurotin and dilaudid for my pain ! But the tegretol does control the bee stings that I have in my face and the dilaudid does control the pain in my ear and jaw .

Cleveland karen said:
I have been on they're told for 16 yrs ,but in also take neurotin and dilaudid for my pain ! But the tegretol does control the bee stings that I have in my face and the dilaudid does control the pain in my ear and jaw .

I've only been on amytriptyline (Elavil) but it took nearly a week for it to start working. I was on Motrin 600 mg 3x a day until the amytriptyline started to work. It's sad we have to go through so much in an attempt to feel normal!