Atlas Adjustment

I just wanted to share my experience with a NUCCA certified chiropractor in Coral Springs, FL. I went in thinking that this was a chiropractor that just had some addititonal training. So they took several "specialized" x rays and consult with the "doctor" which cost me $300 ( I was told on the phone that the consultaion would be free, before i went). I was to come back a week later to discuss the results of my x-rays.

When I returned for the results, I was told that my atlas was definately not aligned and that it would take several visits to get it aligned and to develope "muscle memory" to keep it in place. The price for this therapy that would require 3 visit a week for about 6 months...$5000 US. When I asked how much my insurance would cover they said $183 of the total (btw my insurance covers 100% of a regular chiropractor visits for a certiain #, I think 25). When asked if there would be any kind of refund it the treatment was not successful, I was told no.

Needless to say I left in tears! After being told by someone that they could take my pain away, it would just cost me $5000, which I don't have, and feeling so stupid for letting them even getting the $300 that they got out of me.

I just wanted to share this with others so that they are aware. Maybe the treatment does work, but I will never no because apperently I can't afford to be out of pain.

I'm so sorry about this..... are there other NUCCA in your area? May not all be practioners that are price gouging!

I know this sounds weird - but when I was a volunteer last year, I thought we had signed up for a free massage.

It ended up being Reiki. Energy healing. I was wearing a lidocaine patch on my face, but didn't really tell her what was wrong with me. They run their hands over you about 12 inches above, and everything starts getting warm..... needless to say, at the end - I felt a weeeeird shock out of my little toe. Then I told her about that, and my TN. I took the pain patch off and did not have that pain for 3 days.

So the next time I had break thru pain I scheduled an hour with her - It was $30 and I didn't have any pain for THREE WEEKS! It's not a forever fix - but it might be something you could look for --- certified reiki master in your area - look at reviews and make sure certified. I also went to see her for an hour session for my pre-MVD stress - i was terrified beyond belief to have my head cut open - and when I left, it was like I had done 3 massages.

Please keep posting --- do you have the book Striking Back?

Have you ever tried accupuncture?

put in search box here

I am sorry you were scammed like this,thank you for sharing as we all need a reminder to double check our service providers terms and conditions. Somehow we never expect “medical” people to rip us off…

That was the only one in my area, the next closest one is about 300 miles away, which I find suprising in an area as larga as the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.

I did try accupuncture, but only went once, so admittedly I did not give it a fair chance. I will say that after I went I still had pain for about 2 weeks, then I went into remission for about a year. Maybe it was the accupuncture, but I would think the results would have been a lot sooner.

For now it's medication, and none of it's working. I've been on neurontin, Trileptal and Lyrica, the next one we try is Keppra. The problem is, is that I'm ok on lower doses, but when we start raising the doses I start to get the side effects, and unfortunatly I am the sole provider in our home and have to continue working, As a nurse I have to have a clear head, but honestly I have exhausted my funds on homeopathic healing that hasn't worked.

I am interested in hearing about medication cocktails people are on that have worked for them. And also if someone has a recipe for a compounded cream that I could request from my doctor, wwould be great!

I have been seeing an Upper cervical chiropractor, and I have had two adjustments in four weeks. He is not NUCCA, and made sure that I knew he was not. He said nothing negative about NUCCA, but there are several types of Upper Cervical, and he cautioned me that there were some (just like other forms of chiropractic) that adjusted every time you went, which he said could do more harm than good. My doc just charges normal chiropractic rates. If you don't have insurance they give you a treatment plan, which was around $1200.00 for a year. Mine does scans, and he says this not to check for pinched nerves, it somehow shows the blood flow in the upper cervical area. When I had my first adjustment, I felt better almost immediately. Then, that weekend, my tn2 pain came back. When I went Monday, he said I had lost my adjustment and he adjusted me again. Again, almost immediate relief. I did really good for two weeks, and now the tn2 pain is back. I go Monday. He said it may take three or four adjustments for me to hold, and once you hold your body heals. I will be more convinced if I go Monday and he adjusts me, and I get relief again. The adjustment is very different, and it really gave me a rush the first time. He said my C! had probably been out for 20 years.

I don't know where you live, but I live in an area that is considered rural, so medical costs may be lower here. The average chiropractor here charges between $30.00 = $45.00 per visit if not insurance. The thing with Upper Cervical, is that once they get the adjustment to hold, you have to go back about once a month to be checked to make sure it stays, and they can make a living.

I am sorry that you were unable to try this. I think it has helped me, in fact I know it has. He says it may take months after we get the adjustment to hold, for me to be completely pain free. If you PM me and give me your location, I will ask him to find someone close to you. He has offered to do that.

Good luck,

Candy

I'm with you on the medication struggle. My new neurologist started me on something called Amantadine to help with the fatigue. The first time I took it I think I had an anxiety attack. The next day I slept literally all day. Today I feel more alert, and actually woke up naturally at a decent hour this morning and wasn't tired already. I haven't done that in years.

I'm currently on Lyrica, but am having significant breakthrough pain. My doctor is thinking that a low dose of Tegretol combined with Lyrica might work.

Realistically speaking, there isn't a reason to spend all your discretionary income on alternative treatments. If any of them worked long term, we'd all know it and you wouldn't be posting this. There are just too many wolves out there waiting for us because we look like sheep when we're desperate for anything that might stop the pain for a while.

Hi Tina, I just wanted to follow up with you to see how your new med is working for you? Does it clear up the fogginess without jitters? My neuro also has me on Lyrica 300mg/day, and I definately feel foggy. Today I was driving, and I actually had to admit to myself that this may not have been a good idea! I just feel like I've tried sooo many meds/med combos, that I am over it! I hope the addition of Tegratol helps you feel better, keep us posted, I think many of us are looking for a cocktail that works.

Hope your feeling better!

Tina S said:

I'm with you on the medication struggle. My new neurologist started me on something called Amantadine to help with the fatigue. The first time I took it I think I had an anxiety attack. The next day I slept literally all day. Today I feel more alert, and actually woke up naturally at a decent hour this morning and wasn't tired already. I haven't done that in years.

I'm currently on Lyrica, but am having significant breakthrough pain. My doctor is thinking that a low dose of Tegretol combined with Lyrica might work.

Realistically speaking, there isn't a reason to spend all your discretionary income on alternative treatments. If any of them worked long term, we'd all know it and you wouldn't be posting this. There are just too many wolves out there waiting for us because we look like sheep when we're desperate for anything that might stop the pain for a while.

Hi Candy, Thanks for your reply, it does give me some hope that the adjustments just might work. I will say I focused on NUCCA, because I read on this site that you should never let anyone adjust your atlas that is not NUCCA certified, so I would be really nervous, but it might be worth a shot. Let me know if it keeps working for you or if you reach permenant relief! Good luck and may you be pain free!!

Candy said:

I have been seeing an Upper cervical chiropractor, and I have had two adjustments in four weeks. He is not NUCCA, and made sure that I knew he was not. He said nothing negative about NUCCA, but there are several types of Upper Cervical, and he cautioned me that there were some (just like other forms of chiropractic) that adjusted every time you went, which he said could do more harm than good. My doc just charges normal chiropractic rates. If you don't have insurance they give you a treatment plan, which was around $1200.00 for a year. Mine does scans, and he says this not to check for pinched nerves, it somehow shows the blood flow in the upper cervical area. When I had my first adjustment, I felt better almost immediately. Then, that weekend, my tn2 pain came back. When I went Monday, he said I had lost my adjustment and he adjusted me again. Again, almost immediate relief. I did really good for two weeks, and now the tn2 pain is back. I go Monday. He said it may take three or four adjustments for me to hold, and once you hold your body heals. I will be more convinced if I go Monday and he adjusts me, and I get relief again. The adjustment is very different, and it really gave me a rush the first time. He said my C! had probably been out for 20 years.

I don't know where you live, but I live in an area that is considered rural, so medical costs may be lower here. The average chiropractor here charges between $30.00 = $45.00 per visit if not insurance. The thing with Upper Cervical, is that once they get the adjustment to hold, you have to go back about once a month to be checked to make sure it stays, and they can make a living.

I am sorry that you were unable to try this. I think it has helped me, in fact I know it has. He says it may take months after we get the adjustment to hold, for me to be completely pain free. If you PM me and give me your location, I will ask him to find someone close to you. He has offered to do that.

Good luck,

Candy

Have you looked under the groups tab for the "topical relief group" or something like that -- many things to put ON you instead of IN you!!

Gainsville FL has one of THEEEEE most premier TN centers in the US

Keep Posting!

My neuro gave me some lidocaine nose drops, but I didn't fill the script. I wasn't sure it would work and it is compounded so it's expensive. I asked about a cream and got little response from him, he didn't think it would work. I have put the word out there on this site before for a recipe for a cream, but no one responded. I think if I went to him and said this is what I want, then he would write it, but with out a recipe...

Where in Gainesville, at Shands? Also, did you ever have the MVD, I know you've been on the site for a while, but I've forgotten.

My chiro is certified in Upper Cervical, I checked, and asked many questions. He was very informative and conservative. I will keep you posted. To be honest, the meds were working, but I was not tolerating them well. I felt like this was last ditch, but now I’m glad I went.

I had the MVD - by a neurosurgeon who worked under the inventor of MVD --- Dr. Casey in Michigan - I live in MO

1 year / all better - for now -- can last anywhere from less than a year to 15 years

He also wrote the book Striking Back - you may find more compound answers there

I know maybe you didn't get any direct responses - but just copy and paste the ones that sound good/positive

Just google trigeminal neuralgia gainsville -- that should help??

Hi Catherine!

I think I'm doing pretty well with the addition of Amantadine. I've had a few jittery moments, but nothing terrible.

I just drove for ten hours today without any problem, and I'm not taking an afternoon nap anymore. My business partner and I were talking on the phone today and I commented that I think I'm feeling like normal people do.

I'm still trying to make myself take the Tegretol, but I'm hoping to do it when we're slow at work, just in case.

Catherine said:

Hi Tina, I just wanted to follow up with you to see how your new med is working for you? Does it clear up the fogginess without jitters? My neuro also has me on Lyrica 300mg/day, and I definately feel foggy. Today I was driving, and I actually had to admit to myself that this may not have been a good idea! I just feel like I've tried sooo many meds/med combos, that I am over it! I hope the addition of Tegratol helps you feel better, keep us posted, I think many of us are looking for a cocktail that works.

Hope your feeling better!

Tina S said:

:frowning:
So stay strong, safety in numbers here
Also I’m no expert but there are consumer protection agencies and many local news stations will help expose scam places
Lastly save and channel your energy into something positive