After Gamma Knife procedure

Hello.I just wanted share the results of my recent Gamma Knife procedure.

I had the procedure performed on November 7,2013.As of today I am down to using 400 mg of carbamazepine daily ,from using 800 mg daily.I really don't think I need the med anymore but I am weaning myself off the med because I understand a person should not abruptly stop taking it.I have also seen on different websites that MVD is a more permanent fix for TN,but I wanted the least invasive procedure and the least recovery time.So far the pain is down to only a few slight twinges now and then and should become even less.The only minor pain I remember with the Gamma Knife is on the back of my head where the 2 posts for the headgear were attached.But other than that their was no pain or discomfort.My Gamma Knife was done at the Cleveland Clinic.

So glad you are feeling better, Keep posting and let us know how all is going.

Thanks for the interest anan,I will post anything new.

anan said:

So glad you are feeling better, Keep posting and let us know how all is going.

Great news Dave! Thanks for sharing!
Hope all continues to go well as you reduce your Tegretol, wise to slowly wean…
Positive thoughts, keep updating, Mimi : )

Thanks for the reply Mimi.

Mimi said:

Great news Dave! Thanks for sharing!
Hope all continues to go well as you reduce your Tegretol, wise to slowly wean...
Positive thoughts, keep updating, Mimi : )

Thanks Dave for sharing your experience of Gamma Knife. It's fellow suffers experience that helps when we are deciding what to have done to relieve the pain. Hope to continue to be pain free.

Thanks angie r, for the good wishes.

angie r said:

Thanks Dave for sharing your experience of Gamma Knife. It's fellow suffers experience that helps when we are deciding what to have done to relieve the pain. Hope to continue to be pain free.

It took 9 weeks for my pain to completely dissolve after GK.I felt immediate improvement,but when i tried to cut the meds too soon,the pain rushed back.I take no TN meds now and am pain free for 2 or 3 months.I have a very slight tingling feeling around my eye sometimes,but im quite happy with my GK procedure and glad i did it even if it doesn't turn out to be a permanent fix.I'm hoping/praying it is of course.And for you also!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience so far. This is one place I get information about different options available. I have to do something soon. Keep posting. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for the reply Hope.So far I am experiencing very slight pain or none at all during the day or night.I am able to sleep the night through.I am still taking 2 carbazepine pills per 24 hour period with no side effects.Just in case,{400 mg= 2 pills)I hope what ever option you choose will work out for you.Its been 3 weeks since my gamma knife treatment and all is well.

Hope said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience so far. This is one place I get information about different options available. I have to do something soon. Keep posting. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Don, I hope you are having a nice thanksgiving. yes I hope by the time I go to see the neurosurgeon for a follow up visit in February,that I will be totally pain free.So far I am really pleased with results of the GK after only 3 weeks.If I rub my the left side of my face to hard I will feel pain,but nothing like before.After what you said about cutting the meds too soon,I think I will continue using my reduced amount for a while.Thanks for the reply Don and good luck to you.

Don said:

It took 9 weeks for my pain to completely dissolve after GK.I felt immediate improvement,but when i tried to cut the meds too soon,the pain rushed back.I take no TN meds now and am pain free for 2 or 3 months.I have a very slight tingling feeling around my eye sometimes,but im quite happy with my GK procedure and glad i did it even if it doesn't turn out to be a permanent fix.I'm hoping/praying it is of course.And for you also!

Keep us posted with your progress, it is good to hear these stories, especially for those of us that are considering what are options are (other than just medication!)