Advice prior to MVD

Hi everyone, I’m having my MVD next week and wanted to know if you have any advice or wished you knew something prior? Anything from taking something particular to the hospital to recovery time? What to or not to expect? I have 3 little ones so any information would be great, thanks and Merry CHRISTmas!

Hi! I hope your MVD goes well! I haven't had one, but with other small operations I find taking liquid arnica really helps with the wound healing. Maybe run this past your doctor first, to make sure it wouldn't interfere with your drugs. I have never found anyone to tell me not to take it, and it really speeds up healing for me, so hopefully it would help you too. Let us know how you get on!

Ooh, and how about doing a bit of a cook up and freezing some dinners, so when you are in hospital, or recovering at home, then you have some super quick meals to pull out, to make things easier on you and your family :-)

Don’t do much with your head and neck the first 2 weeks
except stretch and sleep!

Also first two weeks
no lifting, or bending down to do housework!!

I hope you have help!

Some here say take stool softener because the pain pills can stop you up.

Some people bring a travel pillow

I brought my firm foam type of pillow

You pretty much sleep a lot, then go home after 48 hours

So not much reason to pack much. ; )

Lastly, remember, coming back …slow steps
To find normal, can take a full year!

Be patient.

Hi PG with TN,

I posted a very detailed synopsis of my MVD experience in October. There were many unexpecteds! See if you can find the post in my profile. My recovery has gone very well. Do whatever you can to reduce the overall inflammation in your body. I drank mangosteen juice. I failed to freeze many dinners prior to the surgery, and that is definitely something I should have done. At least a week’s worth. I took way too much stuff to the hospital. Didn’t need any of it. If possible, have someone with you who can advocate for you, especially when it comes to the pain meds. Nothing seemed to work for me and caused me to not be able to sleep. And I just couldn’t track on it all. They were not generous with the pain meds. Probably due to policy, regulations or liability issues… not that they were stingy or sadistic.

May God be with you, your surgeons and your family and may you have pain-free peace in the New Year!

Juliet

Lots and lots of rest. Allow your body to heal. This surgery can knock the stuffing out of you physically and mentally. Typically it is our last hope for a pain free exsitence and thus there is so much mental engery used in anticipating it. Your entire being will need time to readjust post MVD.

I would recommend natural ginger candies for the nausea post surgery too. They are called Ginger Chews and are available at most health/natural grocers. I never worried about having them around when my grandkids were over. I usually have a few thrown in my purse or on my night stand.

I have a small soft wheat bag that I kept in the freezer which I used on my sore neck. When I had the terrible post surgery headache I would place it on my neck and lean back into a semi reclining position on the sofa. This helped me a lot too.

The best advice I can give you though is to be patient and get lots of rest. Don’t rush or minimize your recovery. I wish you all the best and many pain free days ahead.

Hi there
I had two MVDs ( both right and left ) last year, and some of the best advice I can give you is to get lots of rest! I found sleeping in a recliner (for about two weeks after the surgery )the most comfortable.
I hope all goes well for you. Please keep us posted!

Kc Dancer Kc said:
Don't do much with your head and neck the first 2 weeks
except stretch and sleep!

Also first two weeks
no lifting, or bending down to do housework!!

I hope you have help!

Some here say take stool softener because the pain pills can stop you up.

Some people bring a travel pillow
I brought my firm foam type of pillow

You pretty much sleep a lot, then go home after 48 hours

So not much reason to pack much. ; )

Lastly, remember, coming back .........slow steps
To find normal, can take a full year!

Be patient.

Thank you all for your replies! I will ck on the arnica mumto4.

May Gob bless you and your family this new year also!

Juliet said:

Hi PG with TN,

I posted a very detailed synopsis of my MVD experience in October. There were many unexpecteds! See if you can find the post in my profile. My recovery has gone very well. Do whatever you can to reduce the overall inflammation in your body. I drank mangosteen juice. I failed to freeze many dinners prior to the surgery, and that is definitely something I should have done. At least a week’s worth. I took way too much stuff to the hospital. Didn’t need any of it. If possible, have someone with you who can advocate for you, especially when it comes to the pain meds. Nothing seemed to work for me and caused me to not be able to sleep. And I just couldn’t track on it all. They were not generous with the pain meds. Probably due to policy, regulations or liability issues… not that they were stingy or sadistic.

May God be with you, your surgeons and your family and may you have pain-free peace in the New Year!

Juliet