A Motor Component? Cramping or Spasms

I have sensory pain in the right location, but during acute episodes in addition to stabbing/shocking pain it also feels like cramping. There is a yanking sensation so powerful it almost feels like it is tearing my larynx.

The only muscle innervated by the glossopharyngeal nerve with motor functioning is the stylopharyngeus muscle. It's a laryngeal/pharyngeal elevator muscle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylopharyngeus_muscle

So if the glossopharyngeal nerve malfunctions is it possible this muscle could cramp? Has anyone else had sensations of cramping in the region or has there been any research on this subject?

Prior to my surgery one of my symptoms included the feeling that my tongue was being pulled down my throat. My tongue would also twist and move around without my control. Both prior to surgery and now after relapse I have the sensation of the hyoid bone being pulled down or down and back into my throat. I think this is a component of the strangulation sensation.

I don’t know if this is what you are referring to.

I have honestly not thought about it too much. It’s just one more ‘weird’ sensation I chalk up to GPN.

I have the tongue and throat spasm thing pretty bad. Often waking up biting the inside of my cheek or lip very painful. Spasm in larynx feels like I am trying to swallow a bottle cap. Sensation around hyoid is like pressure and pulling that along with pain really impacts my life at times. Two years ago I got relief from some of these symptoms with a tongue splint. It is a device that is fitted over your bottom teeth. It has a scoop on it that draws the tongue forward which triggers a relaxation response. It has helped with the tongue spasms and throat sensations. Best of all it helps draw the tongue forward when I sleep and I get better rest which is imperative to good recovery every day. http://www.jparkerdds.com/meetourstaff.html

Your description of a spasm is what I’ve told my neurologist for many years. No medication has touched the pain. We are trying Baclofen now to a little success. I’ve gotten better results with accupuncture.
I can feel the muscle spasm and I yawn and concentrate on relaxing the muscle. It helps.
No going to try a hypnotist to give me a trigger point to specifically relax the stylopharnygeal muscle.
If it works. I’ll let you know
Roland moore dds

The Tongue Splint and Chiropractic treatments ease it. Haven't had much success with medication except Neurontin which doesn't fix it totally but backs the pain off. It is frustrating to try and describe something new to most doctors. I took to drawing pictures to get them to get an idea of the pain and odd sensations. Painting and being creative is a really great distraction from the pain.

9-MAyoDreawing22004.jpg (380 KB) 10-MayoDrawings2004.jpg (504 KB) 11-NeurontinBalloon.jpg (197 KB)

I get pain with spasms in the back of my throat & roof of my mouth . I have had some relief with baclofen. The trick is finding the right dose.

TL

I've got heavy spasms in the throat / jaw, debilitating tongue pain w/ occasional spasms, swallowing issues, etc. I also have heavy salivation, teary eyes, severe nerve pain in and around ear, side of head, back of head, temp lobe, eye, jaw, neck, etc. My C1 transverse process articulates with my left occiput. I was diagnosed with GPN yesterday. I liked the neuro at Emory - she gave me oxcarbemezine (tegretol). I have genicute neuralgia symptoms also - definitely other cranial nerve involvement. Seems like blood vessel involvement also as the spasms are worse in the morning or if I move my neck / or jaw or get up , sit down, etc. I'm getting an MRI w / contrast and w/o contrast next Thursday. They are focused on the glosso nerves but I assume they will cover all the other nerve pathways as well? If anybody knows anything about this pls let me know. Also, I'm trying to get in to see a neuro surgeon at Emory and am trying to research what surgeries are available for this.

I was amazed to see others with such similar symptoms - good luck to you all.

Thanks,

Eddie

I have fasciculations in my tongue too. The most recent doctor's visit confirmed them where as the previous doctor was hesitant to confirm them. I knew it was twitching out of my control. It's interesting felt pulled down and I feel pulled up. It does feel choking. It's so ridiculously painful I don't even know how to articulate it.

I've done a fair amount of research on various nerve related problems now, and it seems there are plenty of possibilities of crosstalk so a direct circuit from point A to point B isn't always realistic. I was just wondering if it could be isolated and simplified to that single pathway. Would be a much simpler world.

For medication, I've found valium seems to stop the cramping sensation. I've seen some people here taking clonazepam which is a sister benzodiazepine and seen this study here:

http://www.ajnr.org/content/27/3/705.full

Doctors really hate benzodiazepines partially for good reason, as they are dependence forming, but they are anti convulsants, muscle relaxers, and anxiety meds.

hmschmom said:

Prior to my surgery one of my symptoms included the feeling that my tongue was being pulled down my throat. My tongue would also twist and move around without my control. Both prior to surgery and now after relapse I have the sensation of the hyoid bone being pulled down or down and back into my throat. I think this is a component of the strangulation sensation.

I don't know if this is what you are referring to.

I have honestly not thought about it too much. It's just one more 'weird' sensation I chalk up to GPN.

I have fasciculations. Actually, I have had them for 7 years. Neuros referred to it as benign fasciculation syndrome. The GPN started in October and that's when I began having the cramps in my throat etc..... I wonder if it is actually GPN or something associated with my fasics

Bambi84 , Me too ! I've had BFS since 2008. I have a pretty bad case - particularly when stressed - myoclonic jerks, full body jerks, muscle twitches all over.etc. I also have a lot of nerve comprssion in my c-spine, and L spine which makes my BFS worse it seems (impingement, etc) . I think it might play a role but I don't think it is the cause of GPN , throat spasms, etc. IMO. As understand it, BFS can effect any voluntary muscle in the body including the tongue but is primarily a peripheral nerve disorder. I've disclosed the BFS to my new neuro and neurosurgeon and so far they've not mentioned it as a factor.

Bambi84 said:

I have fasciculations. Actually, I have had them for 7 years. Neuros referred to it as benign fasciculation syndrome. The GPN started in October and that's when I began having the cramps in my throat etc..... I wonder if it is actually GPN or something associated with my fasics

I told my neurosurgeon, who I saw for the first time yesterday, about BFS and he never heard of it LoL. I can't believe I found someone with BFS and GPN. I have the myoclonic jerks as well all over. It's not severe that people can see it but I get it. That used to scare me more than the twitches. I'm just worried this GPN is onset of bulbar. But I am a hypochondriac (thanks to BFS). It's crazy we have both had it for 7 years. I have nothing wrong with my spine. My doctors think I'm crazy and push me out the door.... oh well....

Also, I really think I feel the twitches in my throat. SCARES ME!!

If your Docs are pushing you out the door you are fine ! I'm trying to get ready for MVD surgery in 8 days in Pittsburgh.

Oh wow! Did they find an artery on the nerve?

The radiologist reported normal but surgeon identified a large vessel that he thinks is
Laying on the nerves - sounds like they are not 100% cause they
hedged a little bit - but he was confident enough to offer me surgery
over the phone.