1 Week Post Occipital Nerve Block

Hey All!

Well,good news and bad news...

The good--Today is my Birthday :D

The bad--still unsure about the outcome of the nerve block. I was weaned off all narcotic-based pain meds the week prior to my occipital nerve block. What was interesting though, was the first place I felt relief from the nerve block was my face. This may indicate that my trigeminal nerves have in fact been in the picture as well as the occipital nerves.

Yesterday (one week after nerve block) I ended up back at my doctor because I was still dealing with a great amount of pain and ended up missing 2 days of work this week.

My doctor and I agreed that a narcotic should be re-introduced however, only to be taken so I can stay at work and/or keep me from the ER.

I loved that I could be honest with my doctor in regards to my medication. My fear is that my body will become dependent on them again. We set very strict instructions on them and we're taking one thing at a time to make sure we are working in a "controlled" environment.

Currently am taking Cymbalta (60mg) and Amitriptyline (25mg). We are about to add Mobic (10mg) to take in place of ibuprofen that i usually take throughout the day. We are also adding Fish Oil supplement.

That's the quick update so far. Hope everyone is doing well <3

God Bless,

Katie

Happy birthday to you! I am glad to hear that some of the pain is under control and that there is a plan to start to deal with the other part of it (and that you don’t have to deal with the patches again). Take care.

Kay, hope this works for you and helps dimish some of your pain. Can I ask you what symptoms you presented with ON? Have you had MVDor not?
My Best
Joanne

Hi Joanne,

In addition to pain in my face, I experience pain that radiates from the back of my neck, and shoots all the way up the back of my head that stops right around the eyes. The pain varies from dull ache to sharp and burning.

No MVD at this time. My new doctor is being very methodical and making sure only one thing is changed at a time to keep everything controlled.

tatto20 said:

Kay, hope this works for you and helps dimish some of your pain. Can I ask you what symptoms you presented with ON? Have you had MVDor not?
My Best
Joanne

I am considering a nerve block and I believe it’s Occipital. It’s an injection just above my eyebrow. This may sound ridiculous, but can you tell me what the pain of the injection is like. I can’t stand the thought of someone sticking a needle into a nerve.