Working with TN

Does anyone else have trouble working while experiencing TN pain? Mine doesn’t go away unless I am under pain pill; so I either have the non stop throbbing pain or I feel crappy from the pain meds. I am ashamed to say there are times when I just find myself crying (not sure if from TN or meds) but I am having trouble keeping it together all day every day without some bout of tears. I feel so emotional these days and just wondered if you guys have to miss work due to this or not. I"ve had to miss a few days but when I’m here I still feel lousy and it’s hard for me to concentrate or be productive. Thanks for your input. I only found out yesterday the diagnois that I"ve been searching for for over 1.5 years.

Working with TN is a real bear. My job requires me to be on top of the game everyday. I can not take the meds and work, I can not work with the pain, I can not work with out the meds. So far I have missed almost 60 hours of work in the past 2 months. My bosses are being good about it, but I know that they are looking at me real hard. I see my doctor on Wednesday and I will go over this with him then.

Hi Charna,

Unfortunately I had to leave my job. My boss was so nice but couldn't keep me on. My productivity had significantly decreased and I just couldn't do it. I am really sensitive to the medication and truly cannot do day to day things at home, like balance my checkbook and don't know if you are quite there. I have to take high levels of meds and still have a lot of pain. Do you have short term disability where you work? Maybe you could take off and try to work through some meds that aren't so bad on your thinking, but still control the pain. I was off for almost 6 months doing this working with my Neurologist trying several medications. I finally went back but still couldn't make it work so left on Long Term Disability.

Of course you feel emotional. You have all of these questions about work and you have been trying to get a diagnosis for 1.5 years. You have a lot to deal with. I know I went through the stages of grief and they pop back up at times. Don't be hard on yourself about that. We have all been there, I'm sure.

Hang in there,

Debbie

Thank you for being so understanding!!! I know that bosses can only be so understanding, but the bottom line is they need results and my lack of productivity is really depressing me. I had 3 good days but then the ‘monster’ (as someone called and I agree) came back. My doc put me on Neurontin and sometimes I need to supplement that with pain meds. I also hate that I get swollen and I don’t even want to look in the mirror anymore. I appreciate the support here and it’s nice to be surrounded by people who experience the same thing. I am sure my case is much less intense than some people’s here and my heart goes out to all.

Debbie said:

Hi Charna,

Unfortunately I had to leave my job. My boss was so nice but couldn't keep me on. My productivity had significantly decreased and I just couldn't do it. I am really sensitive to the medication and truly cannot do day to day things at home, like balance my checkbook and don't know if you are quite there. I have to take high levels of meds and still have a lot of pain. Do you have short term disability where you work? Maybe you could take off and try to work through some meds that aren't so bad on your thinking, but still control the pain. I was off for almost 6 months doing this working with my Neurologist trying several medications. I finally went back but still couldn't make it work so left on Long Term Disability.

Of course you feel emotional. You have all of these questions about work and you have been trying to get a diagnosis for 1.5 years. You have a lot to deal with. I know I went through the stages of grief and they pop back up at times. Don't be hard on yourself about that. We have all been there, I'm sure.

Hang in there,

Debbie

I hear you. Me too. Good luck at doctor and hope they can help you! It is a viscious circle; can't work with pain meds but can't work without them either. It SUCKS.

Jerry said:

Working with TN is a real bear. My job requires me to be on top of the game everyday. I can not take the meds and work, I can not work with the pain, I can not work with out the meds. So far I have missed almost 60 hours of work in the past 2 months. My bosses are being good about it, but I know that they are looking at me real hard. I see my doctor on Wednesday and I will go over this with him then.

Friday the pain management folks had started me on Lyrica. The stuff knocked my socks off. Became a drugged out idiot. Saw my family doctor and he took me off of it. Has me with another appointment next week and he is going to look for a med that will not totally space me out but help with the pain. He kept me with the Oxycodone while he looks for something better. He has recommended that I consider disability as he feels that the pressures of my job are adding to the pain. Also with only one good eye (and it ain't so good), and the TN on that side, he is very careful to not mess with what vision I have left, so most meds are out. Working with my bosses I will see if disability is possible. My family doctor has been a real god sent, he has worked with my eye doctor on the vision issues, my dentist to keep what teeth I have left up, and the ENT on my hearing, he has coordinated everyone and was really upset that the pain management folks that he sent me too did not call about the meds first.

charna goldin said:

I hear you. Me too. Good luck at doctor and hope they can help you! It is a viscious circle; can't work with pain meds but can't work without them either. It SUCKS.

Jerry said:

Oh Charna...I feel exactly like you right now! I have been so very emotional the past couple of days (the past 6 days have been almost non stop YUK, and that is new for me - usually intermittent pain). I am scheduled to see a neuro soon, and plan on asking about this issue too.I know they will change / up / something to my meds - it took several weeks to titrate to the Tegretol and I truly don't look forward to going through all of that again. I read another of the posts on this site and truly didn't realize that could be going through the 'grief stages'!!

I feel so bad it took so long for you to be diagnosed! Really!!?? Bless your heart!!

These meds,, whichever I take make me "emotional". I cry when prior to the monster I never would. It is difficult to work with the level of meds we take but I did acclimate after a few weeks.

I have a wonderful understanding boss who spent 20 yrs as a Theatre nurse. She has been a godsend!

However I am the manager of 42 staff members and sometimes I feel like I cant cope and then in turn feel as though I am letting her down :(
I was on Lyrica ( never again!!!) then went onto Tegretol ( baby dose of 200mg per day ) this dose still makes me feel forgetful and vague. I have to admit even half a glass of red wine hits me like a bomb, so Im not suprised I feel like this on the meds.

I have days when Im feels empowered and I can beat this thing. Then other days I literally feel sorry for myself because I feel as though so-one understands.
I have never taken a day off work whilst having TN - but I have cried plenty of times in the toilet when no-one was looking!
I guess we are all in the same boat :(

Feel for you Jerry, if they put you and me together they would struggle to make one good one from what you have written!! :)
Jerry said:

Friday the pain management folks had started me on Lyrica. The stuff knocked my socks off. Became a drugged out idiot. Saw my family doctor and he took me off of it. Has me with another appointment next week and he is going to look for a med that will not totally space me out but help with the pain. He kept me with the Oxycodone while he looks for something better. He has recommended that I consider disability as he feels that the pressures of my job are adding to the pain. Also with only one good eye (and it ain't so good), and the TN on that side, he is very careful to not mess with what vision I have left, so most meds are out. Working with my bosses I will see if disability is possible. My family doctor has been a real god sent, he has worked with my eye doctor on the vision issues, my dentist to keep what teeth I have left up, and the ENT on my hearing, he has coordinated everyone and was really upset that the pain management folks that he sent me too did not call about the meds first.

charna goldin said:

Jerry said:

A lightbulb went off in my head when I heard a couple of you mention the "grief" cycle. I have so been experiencing this in the last couple of months. I get angry, I deny it, I cry for my loss of well beeing etc. I blame everyone for my pain. My poor husband has had to put up with so much. I hate the anger the most, but damn I'm mad at having to live with this and I am mad that so few understand or know what this is.

All I can say is WELL SAID!!!! I hate this thing at the moment and wish I could just wake up and find that it's all been one bad nightmare.....but I know that I'm not going too..... ARGH!!!!!

I am concerned because I am training to be a teacher. I think, once qualified, I’ll work part time.

Charna, I can sympathize with you. I am a cured TN patient of eleven years but I fought THE MONSTER five or six years. I was in industrial sales and had to go on disability a number of times because the pain would be too great to speak. I was on Tegretol and Neurontin with limited sucess. Tegretol practially turned me into a zombie. I had my first MVD with no success. I eventually had glycerol, alcohol injections, Gamma Knife surgery, and finally a second MVD that has me cured as of this writing. No pain and no meds. I know exactly what you are going through. I explained to my colleagues that the pain at it's peak would be a 11 on a 10 scales. No wonder that it is written up in medical journals as one of the most painful afflictions known to man or woman. Believe me when I say to you that I know exactly what you are going through. I wish you the very, very best and I hope you come up with a cure soon.

whew...this week has been so very hard! I have so far HAD to miss one day and leave early today! NOT like me at all. My principal has been so supportive and understanding. I am truly blessed...but not sure how long that will hold out. I have 130 students I am responsible for...uggh. Love my job / career / life...I hate letting any one down (family, students, friends...myself). Thanks for letting me 'vent'! It's so wonderful to have you guys that understand! :)

Me too.... I have dreamed of being an attorney since I was the age of nine. Life happened and the road had some forks, so I was in my mid 20's before I actually was able to start college. Went through seven intense years of being a single mom, working full time, and going to college then law school full time. I get out, pass the bar, practice for awhile, and now this.... was getting ready to sit for the bar in a different state, took time out to study for that --- but I can't even sit for that right now. Nor am I competent to practice. There is no way I could do a trial, or really advise a client. With the type of law I practice, I literally hold people's lives in my hands. They are looking at me to protect them, to advance their interests.....

My dream has been snatched from me right now, I am scared of the financial ramifications of this, my identity is gone ---- I can identify with everything you posted. Everything....... I am definitely grieving, and grieving what I don't know.......

D McGinnis said:

A lightbulb went off in my head when I heard a couple of you mention the "grief" cycle. I have so been experiencing this in the last couple of months. I get angry, I deny it, I cry for my loss of well beeing etc. I blame everyone for my pain. My poor husband has had to put up with so much. I hate the anger the most, but damn I'm mad at having to live with this and I am mad that so few understand or know what this is.

I’ve been grieving the loss of “me”…the spunkiness and fearless spontinaity that filled my life is now a mere shadow. I am a type-A personality that used to have a list a mile long --and the energy to do all that was listed-- and then some. My days used to be filled with silly, spontanious joles and pranks, and now it’s me and my heating pad! (we make suah a cute couple!) Financially speaking, when i was in year four and was down a quarter of a million in lost productivity in my business and medical expences, i quit counting the losses from this monster…or should i refer to this as a demon? The pain strips me each day to where my fight is gone. Then i cry a river, pray, cry some more and then i begin to feel better. In the last 7 days it’s been rough but I’ve exercised for 5 of those days and it pulled me out of the funk…today is a day I did mot exercise and I can really see the difference!!! I am so thankful for soft deadlines on my design work and for a hubby and kids who understand and love me through each attack. Funny how you can start your day and fell optimistic, and then BAM in a few short hours your in tears…and this is the best pain control to date. Just can’t wait for the day I wake up and I hear that a cure has been found!

Lisa (iamrite) said:

Me too… I have dreamed of being an attorney since I was the age of nine. Life happened and the road had some forks, so I was in my mid 20’s before I actually was able to start college. Went through seven intense years of being a single mom, working full time, and going to college then law school full time. I get out, pass the bar, practice for awhile, and now this… was getting ready to sit for the bar in a different state, took time out to study for that — but I can’t even sit for that right now. Nor am I competent to practice. There is no way I could do a trial, or really advise a client. With the type of law I practice, I literally hold people’s lives in my hands. They are looking at me to protect them, to advance their interests…

My dream has been snatched from me right now, I am scared of the financial ramifications of this, my identity is gone ---- I can identify with everything you posted. Everything… I am definitely grieving, and grieving what I don’t know…

D McGinnis said:

A lightbulb went off in my head when I heard a couple of you mention the “grief” cycle. I have so been experiencing this in the last couple of months. I get angry, I deny it, I cry for my loss of well beeing etc. I blame everyone for my pain. My poor husband has had to put up with so much. I hate the anger the most, but damn I’m mad at having to live with this and I am mad that so few understand or know what this is.