Word Retrieval

I had such a great response to spelling here's another to provoke and make you smile if only in irony.

How is your word retrieval? I hear a few frowns here, thats what I did. Its just a fancy title for not being able to think of the word you know is correct but its just gone! Not the normal brain blip we all get from time to time but constantly feeling inadequate in speech and writing.

I used to feel so elequant but now come across as plain old thick most of the time, its a pain and I do not like it but guess I will have to lump it. How about you?

I know what you mean. My word retrieval issues flare according to what meds I'm on, what dosages I'm taking, and whether or not my Lupus is flaring. Lupus does the same thing to the brain as the TN meds do, so I'm doubly cursed. I have a yellow lab named Teddy (I named him myself.) One night during dinner, Teddy was at my feet under the table. I wanted to talk about him, but I couldn't come up with his name, or even with the word "dog." So in order to get my point across, I called him, "that yellow thing under the table." : o

It's funny at home, but quite embarrassing at a party. Also, I'm a teacher, hoping to get back to work this year or next after 2 years at home with the kids. I worry about how well I will be able to hide this problem from my colleagues, the parents, and my boss. I used to be very intelligent and on top of things, but now I think I must come across as dumb. I hate feeling stupid.

The positive side of it all is that I now have a better understanding of some of the learning disabilities that my students struggle with. I totally understand ADHD, too! These insights will make me a better teacher. : )

Christi

I completely understand! It is so frustrating. I feel the need to explain to everyone and I'm sure they get tire of hearing it. But I feel so stupid. I was an Information Technology person and worked on Accounting systems and now cannot think of words I want to use. What a change!! I get really upset when others make fun of me, too. I know they are just being funny but I feel so bad I can't help it. I'm glad I'm not alone with this one but sorry you are going through it.

Debbie

"I'm not alone" ...magic words....keeps our group so supportive of each other...after years of explaining to my friends what ATN/TN is all about, it drives me crazy when they say, " how's your tooth?". so ,Debbie don't let the !**!!** get you down.!

Oh Bill I know exactly where you are coming from! Someone regularly asks me how my 'bad tooth' is. I could seriously throw something at them that after all this time they think I just have a bit of toothache. If I was walking around on crutches no doubt people would believe there was something wrong with me. :p

Do you have it happen where what you are thinking slips out and you didn’t want it to? Adding a little too much to what you want to say?? How embarassing. I wanted to crawl under a rug for awhile!!! Min

I’m a teacher also and I understand your concern. I work with struggling students (Title I) so I feel right at home with them…lol. However, I find they even need to correct me and say the words I cannot think of. I feel really dumb around my colleagues. It’s a hard thing to explain to people.

Christi Cronin said:

I know what you mean. My word retrieval issues flare according to what meds I'm on, what dosages I'm taking, and whether or not my Lupus is flaring. Lupus does the same thing to the brain as the TN meds do, so I'm doubly cursed. I have a yellow lab named Teddy (I named him myself.) One night during dinner, Teddy was at my feet under the table. I wanted to talk about him, but I couldn't come up with his name, or even with the word "dog." So in order to get my point across, I called him, "that yellow thing under the table." : o

It's funny at home, but quite embarrassing at a party. Also, I'm a teacher, hoping to get back to work this year or next after 2 years at home with the kids. I worry about how well I will be able to hide this problem from my colleagues, the parents, and my boss. I used to be very intelligent and on top of things, but now I think I must come across as dumb. I hate feeling stupid.

The positive side of it all is that I now have a better understanding of some of the learning disabilities that my students struggle with. I totally understand ADHD, too! These insights will make me a better teacher. : )

Christi

So do I!

Min Czeschin said:

I want off this ride!

NO more “Who sells sea shells” word games for me!!! I am eccentric now! HAHAHA

There should be some ticketing system going on here :)

My son asked me the other day if i could say "Betty Botter bought some butter"...yep, I"ll leave that one alone!

Jackie said:

Ads I have said to Min , Betty get in line!!!!!!!!!!!

Betty Sheppard said:
So do I!

Min Czeschin said:

I want off this ride!

ahhhh... the power of words.... I'm a very verbal person - I had to leave my first brand new Masters of Social Work job in October because I lost my verbage..... couldn't play scrabble with my teen, trileptal just kept making it worse - I know I sounded like an idiot in my last few job interviews - and I mean FEW : (

I felt like I had early alzheimers! I kept calling my blonde cocker Aiden by the wrong name....kept calling him by the name of Rusty whos been gone 4+ years! My new husband and son were getting impatient! HA -- switch me brains for one hour! Hated standing there trying to stop transposing my words.

This led me to ask for Ritalin and it has helped along with lowering Trileptal --- It's better than the pain I used to have though!

kimberly in kc

I’ve often wondered if I need Ritalin. I’ve been afraid of side effects though.

Hi Jackie - it's been a while since I've been on-line (see my previous blog on MVD surgery) --

Definitely the neurontin makes me lose my words -- I certainly don't have the ability to multi-task like I used to (combination of getting older and medication that affects my brain!). I've noticed that I transfer letters more and more when I type - I used to be a terrific typist. I'm greatful I am getting older and dealing with this condition (even after surgery) -- I'd hate to think that I would have to struggle while I'm trying to survive in a career. The other side of being older while dealing with ATN is that I don't have another 30+ years to live (or hope that is the case!).

Take care Jackie - it's nice to see you on-line.

Paula

For anyone considering ritalin or its cousins for focusing better – it is low dose — one side effect, you might eat less, but the energy it gives me is also a bonus – my neuro gives it to his MS patients because they are always so tired. I struggle about 50% less on word retrieval if I remember right — LOL

Well my word retrieval problem has just doubled since I have been started on topomax on top of the tegretol... BUT.... I can smile without it hurting tooo much and I am smiiillling and my head doesn't hurt so much any more!!!

Congratulations on smiling again. Doesn’t it feel good. Careful on working your way up to a laugh- ha…I’m happy for you.

Smile Poems

by Sri Chinmoy

Smile, my heart, smile.
Your smile means so much to me,
Your smile feeds my reality within,
Your smile liberates me from world-clamour and
world-din.
Smile, my heart, smile.
Smile at least once in a while.

Thanks…

As in other threads, I’m SO glad to see one of my side effects being discussed, I feel so much less freakish! I also have to re-read work e-mails carefully, I seem to repeat certain words when typing, but also forget to type words I know that I composed in my head.

I have resurrected this in response to a request by SF Bill