Topical treatments

It seems as though I have seen some talks before regarding topical treatments, like topical tegretol or topical gabapentin in conjunction with other meds (lidocaine?). I am going to a new neurologist in a week or so and would like to give him as much information as possible. I am poorly managed and this Winter, the pain has been awful. I hate adding meds because of the side effects. Thanks!

Check out my post on lydocaine solutions.

My doctor gave me a sample of VOLTAREN GEL 1% to apply 4 times a day. I dont feel it worked for me. That is the only topical stuff i have tryed

Amy I Tried the same as Dawn VOLTAREN GEL No relief.

Thank you, you guys!

I use ketoprofen gel (i saw it recommended for people with for Type II TN and started using it), find it quite good.

Amy, after going to your profile it is clear your condition falls into an entirely unique category.

My condition is also unique in that my TN pain originates from my sinus cavities. Same as you I also struggle through winter seasons. I couldn't tell whether you have respiratory problems or not, but in my case I can testify that diet can be crucial to TN mitigation. I'm not a vegetarian but I attempt to avoid dairy products, processed foods, red meat, hot spicy foods, and beer. If I stick to a diet of fresh fruit, cereal, vegetables, fish, turkey, and hemp or soy milk, I can usually control the TN pain.

As far as topical pain medication, I have tried a nasal spray product called Cetocaine. I had to stop using the Cetocaine because it caused an allergic reaction that exacerbated the TN. Now that I think about it, an allergist once told me to avoid medications ending with "aine" in the name because of potential allergic reactions.

I don't know if any of this applies to your case but take it for what its worth,

Good luck,

John B

Thanks, John for your reply. Yes, mine, like yours and most of us probably, is unique. I am taking Tegretol orally now and it is helping a lot! I would love to try some things topically and avoid some of the side effects. Maybe my doc will let me try Tegretol in a topical form. Wouldn't that be great? I find that numbing agents like lidocaine tend to become aggravants after awhile so I'm not sure it would work. Worth trying for sure. Thanks again and hope you are feeling well!

Amy

Hi, Susan, what percentage of Ketaprofen you did use?

Thank you, Nata

Susan said:

I use ketoprofen gel (i saw it recommended for people with for Type II TN and started using it), find it quite good.

Amy Culpepper Elliott said:

Thanks, John for your reply. Yes, mine, like yours and most of us probably, is unique. I am taking Tegretol orally now and it is helping a lot! I would love to try some things topically and avoid some of the side effects. Maybe my doc will let me try Tegretol in a topical form. Wouldn't that be great? I find that numbing agents like lidocaine tend to become aggravants after awhile so I'm not sure it would work. Worth trying for sure. Thanks again and hope you are feeling well!

Amy

You think, there is a topical Tegretol?

Nata