TN and pregnancy

Thanks. It's something very important to me, especially being such a huge birthing, child and women's rights advocate. Doctors trample all over all of those so often. And the only way we have a hope in hell of it changing is to talk about it and let people see that they do have choices and how to make informed choices. Medicine is and always was meant to be a last resort. When natural options are exhausted THEN you go to medicine. Then someone figured out hot to brainwash and make money and we all lost hope. And because we had built such a trust in the system and in doctors we just went along with it, for almost a century.

if you're interested in the history of medicalization of birth you should watch "The Business of Being Born" it's incredible!!
Anyways, so here's where I'm at with my TN, my neurologist is obviously of no help. I can't seem to find ANYTHING on natural options. Even my chiropractor said there's some things he can try but has never seen anything be successful (which includes acupuncture since he's also an acupuncturist as well) . Him and I had a long discussion and it was with his assistance that I decided to go with the gabapentin for now until I can find something else but I'm still searching. I've seen naturopaths too. nothing.
At least though I can spend good days with my daughter. For 4 weeks now I've been pushing through to just be able to provide her basic care and then I've been strapped to the couch for most of the evenings when hubby got home. So at least we've had these few days and with this gorgeous weather I'm hoping so bad that these good days continue for a bit.
Now, off to read that article.

Racheblue:

you said you use no conventional medications. What do you do to control your pain? I have recently weaned off all my meds except for an occasional Morphine when I am really bad because we are trying to conceive. I am trying to find some natural, and safe during pregnancy , ways of dealing with the pain.

Racheblue said:

Good for you nwaring! Sounds to me like you've researched and know exactly what you want and need for giving birth 2nd time time around. As the woman carrying and giving birth to your baby, nobody knows better than you what your body and baby need and how you are likely to cope with whatever comes up. I totally agree with you re the over medicalisation of pregnancy and birth and sadly, it's not just in N. America.

Whether your TN decides to flare up or take a break during pregnancy, labour and birth, I'm sure you will do the very best for you and your baby and I wish you all the very best for a wonderful home birth. If my partner and I ever manage to get pregnant and carry full term, I hope to be doing the same.

I have never taken pharmaceuticals for my TN (over 5 years now) except for a few weeks of codeine (before developing an allergy) back when I still thought the pain was a dental problem! I find the whole pharma business quite unethical and even stopped taking paracetamol and neurofen almost 4 years ago, so the thought of mixing drugs and pregnancy is inconceivable (pardon the pun!) for me. However I totally understand why other people turn to medication as it too often seems like the only option in our one-dimensional western health system...

Anyway, wishing you all the best x

Ya I'd love something other than Percocet for pain if it flairs up when I'm pregnant. I already hate having to use the Gabapentin. I guess everyone has a 3% risk of a baby with some kind of disability (anywhere from minor to severe) and gaba (or even tegretol) raises that to 10%. So it's quite a bit higher and I'd LOVE to get that risk back down to 3% but at least it's still relatively low.

Hi Karen and nwaring,

In my experience there are no quick and easy ways of 'controlling' TN pain. In fact I've given up trying to control it and realised that I can only control my reaction to it.

For me, it's been a long, slow, ongoing challenge but I feel more confident every day (most days!). However it does take a huge leap of faith away from the 'My body isn't working so I need to fix it' way of thinking to the realisation that all pain, discomfort and suffering are signs of imbalance on all levels - physical, emotional, mental, energetic and spiritual.

To cut a long story short, I manage my reaction to the pain by observing my behaviour and adjusting it accordingly. For example, one of the biggest ways I used to increase the pain was by being afraid of it. Once I realised that I don't have to fear the pain, that it may hurt like hell but it won't kill me or cause further damage unless I let it and that it will, like everything else, pass eventually, I was able to let each attack take place without the usual fear, tension, crying, frustration and anger.

Letting go of these reactions means I can focus instead on riding out the pain, letting it be instead of fighting it. Meanwhile I calm body, mind and spirit by meditating, breathing slow and steady, dropping tense shoulders, thinking positive rather than negative thoughts, allowing myself to feel healing energy flowing through me and knowing that there is a divine purpose to everything we experience.

That may sound like hippy nonsense, but honestly, try it and see if it helps at all. It's not going to make the pain disappear but the side effects are only positive and it will help to let TN become less of a burden and with practice, maybe one day it will disappear...

Other techniques and therapies I have used that have helped me to relax, release physical tension and let go of thoughts and emotions that cause unnecessary stress (which I think exacerbates TN) are chiropractic, holistic therapy including reflection, deep breathing, shamanic work and shiatsu massage, deep tissue massage, acupuncture and yoga practice.

Currently I'm unable to keep up with classes and appointments so I self-manage at home with yoga when I can, meditation, conscious breathing and positivity. I may not be able to do all the things I used to do any time I please but I have accepted that I received this pain in order to make huge changes to my life. These changes have brought my life increasingly more in line with my true nature than before. I may be in pain a lot of the time but I am far more content and focused on the things that make me truly happy. When frustration, anger and sadness kick in as they do from time to time, I have a greater resource of contentment to fall back on.

Anyway, that's what works for me. Hope it's useful x

Karen said:

Racheblue:

you said you use no conventional medications. What do you do to control your pain? I have recently weaned off all my meds except for an occasional Morphine when I am really bad because we are trying to conceive. I am trying to find some natural, and safe during pregnancy , ways of dealing with the pain.

A lot of that sounds like the way of getting through labour. :smiley:

Ha ha! Funny you should suggest that nwaring, as I do often feel like I am giving birth - through a long, challenging labour - to my Self. A more evolved, wiser, calmer, happier Self :)

Hi NWaring-

I recently just gave birth to my daughter Dec 6, 2011. I have had TN for the past 5 years and have had 2 MVD's done. I was less fortunate and my TN really flared up while I was pregnant, and from what I understand it is different. I spoke to a high risk doctor regarding all of my medication before I became pregnant. It was left up to me in what I felt comfortable with taking. Feel free to PM me and I can share whatever you would like. good luck!

Jessy