Surgury

Hi Folks

Just wanted everyone to know the i have been suffering for two years with this aweful condition and on january 02 2014 last thursday i had the jannetta procedure done in halifax nova scotia canada for the first time and it has been sucessful so far NO PAIN OMG THANK YOU

Good for you! I am 8 weeks post surgery and I too am pain free and no meds! It is such a good feeling isn't it?

Congrats on being pain free mike! I have to say though I have never heard of that procedure before. Could you give details please. I had MVD done a little over a year ago and woke up from surgery pain free!! I thank God every time I think about it. I wish this condition could be fixable for everyone! Take care, Sally

Hey guys,

You all are inspirational to me. Congratulations to all of you. I have been considering surgery for the past year and have been afraid to take the leap. Actually, my schedule hasn't allowed me to easily take the time, but if I were solidly motivated to do it, I'm sure I would carve out the time. I've been evaluated and approved for MVD but have just still had concerns. But as each day goes by, I am becoming more certain that it is my only real choice.

Rudianne, where would you have the surgery done at? Sally and Kayla, can you share what your post-op surgery recovery is like (limitations, diet, things you can and can't do and for how long). From immediately following surgery to now. That would be most helpful.

Congratulations! What a blessing! I too, had MVD, aka Jannetta procedure, in November of 2011. Still pain free! It was a long ardous journey, but worth every effort. I still have a paralyzed right vocal chord, as a result of the procedure. By the grace of God, I have my speech back and have returned to work. I can eat anything. It took me a while to try many of the "trigger" foods. Not a moment goes by without thankful thoughts and praise. I am truly healed. My eyes fill with tears as I think of those still struggling. I long for the day that they too will be healed.

I started a blog before I had my surgery titled "Surgery to make this go away" and I have updated it periodically with my post surgery challenges and progress. I returned to work this past week after 8 weeks and am doing really well. I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions about my recovery or the surgery. I also wish I had had the surgery sooner. Too much pain and too much suffering for 10 years!

I couldn’t lift more than a gallon of milk until cleared by the doctor. Tried hard to not cough, sneeze or vomit after surgery to help keep sponge in place. Went back to work four weeks after surgery. No restriction now, part of my skull feels numb on surgery side, but other than that no side effects. No desire to do anything that could jar sponge loose so don’t plan on skating or skiing or anything that would involve definitely falling down!! Life is so much better now. I was running out of medicine options, to many allergic reactions, and the meds I was on weren’t working anymore. Good luck!

Hi all

After 7-8 years with 3 periods af pains I had my MVD surgery july 16. 2013. After the surgery i suffered a lot of side-effects: Sewier swallowing problems, paralyzed left vocal chord, hearing disabillityes, dobbelvision, ongoing weightloss, but most importent NO PAINS....!!!

Now 6 months after I have just been told from one of my therapists that my vocal chord no longer is paralyzed, it´s just not closing tight when i speak so my voice is still "rusty". Unfortually i´m still having troubles swallowing the last bite of whatever i eat. The last bite must be flushed down with water or ells it will be stuck deep down in my throat. All other sideeffects are gone :-D And still NO PAINS....!!!

I can, when i´m very stressed or execisses with a high pulse feel a kind af tension in my GP-nerve like before surgery, but without the horrible pain. So i try not to get stressed and avoid to much execise.

All the troubles and sideeffects was more than worth it. I would NEVER trade it back.....!!!!

Finally I can only say to all of you who´s still suffering the horrible pains: Get the MVD surgery at an hospital who knows about the desease...

Warm thougts and good luck to you all <3

Brian, Sally and Kala, thank you so much for your detailed report of what to expect after MVD surgery. It sounds like if everything go perfectly, it is still no walk in the park and should not be taken lightly and needs to be done by an experienced surgeon at a medical center that is extremely familiar with the procedure.

Hello Kala,

I am interested in the your in reading your blog about your post surgery recovery and progress. I am scheduling MVD surgery for sometime in the next 3-4 months (due to work situation) and am trying to get an idea of challenges and length or recovery for you. I'm also 'technically' challenged and am not sure how to read your blog.

I have had GN for 6 years and have reached my limit, so to speak.

Hope you hear back from you soon.

Michelle

kala said:

I started a blog before I had my surgery titled "Surgery to make this go away" and I have updated it periodically with my post surgery challenges and progress. I returned to work this past week after 8 weeks and am doing really well. I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions about my recovery or the surgery. I also wish I had had the surgery sooner. Too much pain and too much suffering for 10 years!

Michelle, I sent you a friend request. Once you accept I will send you a message with some of the highlights of my recovery.

Wonderful, thank you Michelle.

It's been two years since your surgery, Mike. I hope that you have recovered, and are still pain free. Why don't you drop by the community and let us know how you are?

Seenie