Shall I take some more carbamazepine

I have taken 200mg Carbamazepine daily for a week it’s just not really working. I know this because right now it is agonisingly painful. I have also taken two codeine not sure why I’ve bothered. There is no difference just waiting as the attacks hit me. I cAn hear my pulse loud in my ear it’s travelling under my chin. Really tired of it got a banging headache. Shall I take some more carbamazepine it was about two hours ago now what happens If j just up the dose after 5 days on it?

Not sure about the medicine, but I totally understand where you are coming from. I have had such horrible pain around my eye for most of this week. At times it comes and goes, but mostly I feel like my head might actually explode...I kind of wish it would. haha! Honestly, at times this week I have thought about increasing my Lyrica because it doesn't seem to be enough.

I am not advising you to do it, but I will tell you that I have popped an extra when I was in severe pain to see if it would calm it down. If your dose is too high, you will feel extremely drunk/dizzy and maybe sick or nauseous feeling. They put me on 600mg twice a day and OMG it was too much at once! I decided on my own to split it and take 400mg three times a day instead. I was soooooooo drunk, sick feeling all day and I had to come home and just sleep it off. That will probably be the most you would feel. The weird thing is, when I popped an extra 200 when I was in severe pain, it didn't do that to me. Only when I took too high a dose at one time. Like I said, NOT advising you to, but I have done it. Hope you feel better soon. ((((hugs))))

Hey still up. Took 200 more. It’s not had any affect. Had a little smoke that seems to have given me something to do anyway see if it helps. Sitting by the window with four candles lit it’s started to snow. It’s going to look lovely in the morning

Hi Marie.
200mg Tegretol ( carbamazepine) is just a starting dose, therapeutic levels are usually had at approximately 600mg-800mg . You need to talk to your prescribing doctor about slowly increasing the dose. It usually takes time to adjust with each increase. There is also a slow release version, that works better for me, but that’s my experience.
In any event,call your doctors office tomorrow. 200 mg is usually not enough!
Are you on other meds?
Mimi

Still up! Just feeling restless and in pain. Going to get blood tests tomorrow to check my levels so I can have MRI. Just rolled a smoke popped two ibuprofen and made a cup of tea. After that I’m going to try and sleep it’s 3am. Hopefully when I up my dose it will start to take affect. Thanks everyone for your support x

I don't know if this is medical findings or what, but I had read where salt helps with the pain. So I had a bad time with the same extreme pain as you are talking about in the eye and ear and thought it would be ok if someone just would knock me out. I then had a handful of cashews which are very salty and in a half hour the pain level came down about half. I now keep cashews on hand at all times for this purpose only, I found it helped, it may be different for you but it sure may be worth a try.

Like was said a couple post before...certainly NOT saying you should. However, the dr that gave me my carbamazepine, told me to up the dose by 100mg every hour until i got relief. (granted i'm not real sure that is the right way either myself..i was rather surprise by him saying that..but anyway). I ended up feeling better when i got to a total of 400mg. And before i went back and talked to him about it, i also (as mentioned before) took an extra when i was in desperate pain.

Now i take a daily dose of 1200mg (plus 900mg neurotin).

So yeah, 200mg is a starting point, and you could probably take more.

But again, we are not doctors/pharmacists.

(have you called your dr or pharmacist? do either of them have emergency/crisis help lines that you could call?)

I wish i could lessen your pain. I've been there were you are and i know how horrible it is. Just know you are not alone..

~Mistee

Hey I’ve had a really strange day. I’m not much of one to lie in I find it hard to relax sometimes with the aches but I took two more went to sleep mega late an just slept for 14 hours without waking up. Woke up feeling pretty good. Luckily I had a day off. Wasted it but hey no pains today (could be no chance for triggers though) took two when I got up have eaten only trigger I can think of at present. I feel a little doped up but pretty damn good.

Mistee, do you function ok with 1200 tegretol and 900 neurontin? I am curious because I am currently on 1200 tegretol but nothing else. I have breakthrough pain sometimes and I go to the neuro on Wed. I hope he may add a med, but I am worried about how I will function at my job.

Mistee Humphreys Shelton said:

Like was said a couple post before...certainly NOT saying you should. However, the dr that gave me my carbamazepine, told me to up the dose by 100mg every hour until i got relief. (granted i'm not real sure that is the right way either myself..i was rather surprise by him saying that..but anyway). I ended up feeling better when i got to a total of 400mg. And before i went back and talked to him about it, i also (as mentioned before) took an extra when i was in desperate pain.

Now i take a daily dose of 1200mg (plus 900mg neurotin).

So yeah, 200mg is a starting point, and you could probably take more.

But again, we are not doctors/pharmacists.

(have you called your dr or pharmacist? do either of them have emergency/crisis help lines that you could call?)

I wish i could lessen your pain. I've been there were you are and i know how horrible it is. Just know you are not alone..

~Mistee