Question re ATN, advice quickly please

I have been in really bad pain non stop on right side face only.
I really like my pain management doc.He wants to increase meds and give a shot tomorrow (his secretary called me) that’s all I know. Question, is it wise to get a shot for this in face? Even though doc is very informed, he has never done on ATN patient. I’m now afraid of making worse. He is trying to get me P-Stim Device for me in the meantime. He said blocks can make worse? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

He most likely mean a nerve blocker. I would call his office back or have a family member or close friend do it for you and write the questions and answers down. Ask what kind of shot where would it be done at, what the risks are extra. If someone else calls for you right all of your questions down. Don’t be afraid to call back. It’s hard to remember the information doctors give us, even harder with the medications were on, and can become very difficult to remember anything when we are exterm pain. It is not uncommon for my self to ask about information repeatedly on what my pain doctor suggest to me. I asked Red about injections a few months ago in a message if you want I can forward it to you. I hope you are starting to feel a little better take care.

Thank you so much! Yes please forward. You can use email ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■. I was wondering if just a pain shot or a block. I’ve read so much negative on blocks it’s made me nervous. Is a block same as Trigeminal shot when getting wisdom teeth out ? Hope I don’t sound stupid. I’ve been told that a good idea to do. Same doc that does wisdom teeth. Of course we may have had that and caused problem?

Thanks Kari for taking time to send me note. Greatly appreciate!

I don’t know anything about the shots, but I currently having a trial with the peripheral nerve stim and am very happy with its affectivness on my ATN pain. (The MVD I had in January did not help with that.)I will have the permanent implanted on Wednesday.
Best of luck to you!
Christine

Hi Daryla,
I’m putting this here too. I just sent you a friends request, please accept it and I will forward you that info. Hang in there:)

Is it the nerve block that they do as part of the protocal prior to the Stim trial implant to satisfy the insurance that you have done everything and that they should approve the Stim trial? I had one done on July 25th if you want info on that. There is also info on the group about stimulators under “groups” on this site. Take care!

Christine, how is your trial going? My insurance has denied the Stim trial and the dr has submitted a rebuttal and it’s a waiting game now for me. I would love to hear how it is going! TL

My trial is going well! I have actually been ATN pain free at times, and at others the pain is so slight, I have really had to try to feel it. I will go to see my doctor this morning, and will have the permanent implant tomorrow. I would definitley appeal,with your insurance company. There is a closed group on Facebook for Occupital and Peripheral Nerve Stimulation that has some good examples of appeal letters for Stimson. Just send the administrator a request and she will let you join the group. That group has been quite helpful with info and members sharing their experiences with the stims.

Good luck, and please feel free to ask me any questions!
Christine

Thank U Everyone!

I'm curious. I have AD, what is ATN. I'm completely miserable. Looking for nswers.

HI DARLA;

THERE IS NO INDICATION OF WHAT THE SHOT IS TO DO. WOULD REALLY HELP TO KNOW IF TIME. I HAVE ATN

LEFT AND HAVE HAD MANY FACIAL SHOTS- MOSTLY FOR NUMBING OR A BLOCK. OTHERS MAY HAVE DIFFERENT BUT ONLY ONCE DID ANY TYPE OF FACIAL SHOT GIVE ME MORE THAN SHORT TERM RELIEF.

I ALSO GOT STIMULATOR FEW YEARS BACK, IT WAS QUITE EXPENSIVE AND DID NOT PROVE EFFECTIVE. BEST

WISHES IN YOUR CHOICES AS IT MAY BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT FOR YOU.

RON