Post MVD 4 Days

Hi all. I am home at 4 days post MVD. I believe it all went as well as I could have asked for. My NS found 1 vein denting in the nerve and two arteries pretty much wrapped around it. I am thankful that I did it because I think it was the right way to go. Now I just have to heal. So the side effects? I had nausea right after surgery but I don’t remember that part. I am numb on the whole right side of my face. The pain in my head is throbbing. Since my cut went into my neck I have a bit of muscle loss and stiffness that will have to heal also. That’s pretty painful. My walking is still off balance. It’s like that when I take my meds and I think now from the surgery also. I won’t know if the TN pain is gone until I am weaned off of my meds so it will take me a few weeks. I am just looking forward to healing each day.
299-image.jpg (1000 KB)

Congrats Stephanie!!! Sounds like you are doing great!! am 2 weeks post op, and am feeling better and better. I’m sending positive thoughts your way!! Regards- tiffanie

Good luck on a speedy recovery Stephanie!

Congratulations on getting your mvd. I hope all continues to go better and better for you each day.

Congrats! So happy for you and wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Thanks ffor sharing your experience, Ihope things continue to go well for you

You are doing well & I am happy for you.

Thanks all for the well wishes. I’m taking it one day at a time and get my staples out on Tuesday.

Happy to hear you’re home and recovering Stephanie! All the best of wishes for the weeks ahead, truly just listen to your body, it takes time to heal…
(( hugs )) Mimi

Thanks Mimi. Question for you all. Does anyone know how long the numbness on one side will last? I know it’s only been a few days but I’m just wondering what I can expect.

Sweeeeett!!! So glad you are getting better!! I lucked out and didnt have any numbness, but from what I was told by my surgeon was that it can take a few days to months to go away, but from what I have seen on here, it seems to only be weeks that people complain about it!

I do hope that you are well on your way to recovery

Wendy

Stephanie, I do also hear different stories, I’m almost 3 weeks, and still random numbness, the minor post op symptoms: ear popping, echo, balance, all seem to be fading away. More positive thoughts coming to to you!!! I’m starting to get little low level jolts in my pain spots. Didn’t in the beginning. Not going to freak, things are still healing! Have a great week!!!

• Tiffanie

The face numbness lasted non-stop for 2-3 weeks. I then had sporadic numbness for about 4 months. The ear and scalp numbness is what lasted the longest: 8 months later and sensation is still not 100% back on my ear. Glad you feel good!

Stephanie, it sounds like you are in great spirits! I am two weeks out tomorrow and the numbness is starting to fade. My head still throbs when I do too much, but the constant throbbing in my head resolved about day 6 or 7. I stopped the narcotic pain killers on day 6 and have had to use them only a few times since. However, your incision is much bigger and you may just need more time. I am horrible at this myself, but be patient. And, all the best to you on weaning off the meds and having a new pain free life! Kassie

I have an appt on the 10th to talk to my neuro about when I can try to wean off my meds. I think that will really be the test of everything. I am also not great at being patient but I am better than I used to be :slight_smile: I will count everything worth it if I have a pain free and medication free life! Glad to hear that some of your side effects are calming down. Are you still taking meds for TN?

I am still taking TN meds. I was switched from Tegretol to Neurontin in the hospital because it was discovered that my red blood cell levels were dipping. Anyway, I am on pretty low doses of Neurontin (300mg 3x's day) and still experience TN pain, with some days being better than others. My NS feels that in time, and with healing, this could get better and better. Others have shared similar experiences on this site- that it just takes time if you have pain after surgery. But, I know that is soooo hard, because I sincerely believed that I would wake up from surgery with no pain and I would be good to go for life. So, on to plan B, and a bit of a life's lesson on how to be more patient (and hopeful). The best to you on the 10th and beyond. Let us know how you are.

stephanie said:

I have an appt on the 10th to talk to my neuro about when I can try to wean off my meds. I think that will really be the test of everything. I am also not great at being patient but I am better than I used to be :-) I will count everything worth it if I have a pain free and medication free life! Glad to hear that some of your side effects are calming down. Are you still taking meds for TN?