Long story short, i had three dental fillings done by an incompenent dentist.
The fillings were extremely small. All three teeth started aching badly after. After 6 months i had all three teeth root canaled, desperate Two of them were necrotic/dead (root canal was needed!) and the third one was on its way out. The third one felt different then others - would sleep at night, dragging/pulling pain, pain escalated after root canal but has been settling down in the last year. This is 100% neuropatic. It is actually doing the best at this moment out of all three teeth.
The root canals were all needed. Esentially the dentist killed the nerves. I dont know, but he caused damage causing abrupt death of the nerves.
Unfortunately the other two teeth are still hurting. One is not sensitive to chewing so I will leave that out of this discussion- it might be neuropatic - the pain is different of nature, playing/touching with my tongue sets it off.
The final tooth is actually very painful to chewing. The annoying part is i cannot find any pattern pain. It went quite good for a couple of months.Barely any pain. Pain now is back. Goes away for days. Pain comes back. During the day, on off on off. It is aching. It was 3-4/10 in the last year but ramping up 5-6/10. Action is needed… I have had 2 CBCT scans from the last year. The root canal was done professionally. My last endo does not want to retreat. He is hesitate to treat at all, but since chewing sometimes hurts he suggests apioectomy.
Im done with the tooth and want to extract it.
- it is pain to chewing chewy foods. There are no signs of infection (none of my necrotic teeth ever showed any x ray changes!)
- There is pressure inside the tooth itself. The pain is boring.
- No burning, gum pain, no pulling.
- pain is not strong enough to wake me up at night. Pain is more present during the day but does not follow the “15 min pain free” cycle in the morning.
- Some days/weeks in the last year (2 times 2 months) the pain was basicially zero)
- its been a year now. I have been in a pain flare up since 16th of december again. Some days it hurts badly, some days it does not hurt at all.
- a mix of neuropatic/dental would be an option
Any advice here? Im thinking about extraction. Im doing bad mentally. The pain is getting worse. Its been 18 months after the incident and 12 months after the root canal I tried getting antibiotics to test but my endo/dentist/gp are not willing to prescribe (i live in europe). I have amitrypiline at home but to scared to try - i suffer from tinnitus and Ami can worsen this condition permanently.
P.s. we have to keep in mind - the people on this forum are biased as there are only people with TN. The people with pain reduction after extraction are not here because they dont have TN…
I went to the neuro - he did not know the phenomenon of dental neuropatic pain. After much discussion he prescribed capcaisin on my request, however his is external capcaisin and clearly says do not internally on lips, eyes etc.
Please, anyone with insights? People with ATM / atypical/ atypical odontalgia, is this pain cycle familiair to you?