Painkillers

Are there any pain killers that work, if so what do people use?

I think I have type 2, I have constant pain, the Amitriptyline seems to have got it down to an annoying dull niggly ache reminisent of an ear infection and multiple toothache! But is there anything available that can help get rid of that? I was driving home with one finger in my ear and a mouthfull of cold water to ease my teeth!!!

I have ibuprofen and co-codemol but I'm not finding either much use!!!

Hello, I suffer from Type I and Type II , I have tried percocet in the past, which does help but I cannot work while on it and I have tried Ultram(tramadol) this does help especially on nights when I have to work ..the problem with any pain killers is they wear off and your body gets use to them after awhile and the awful way they make me feel.. check with your doctor and ask what will work best, there are lots of combos out there one is bound to work for you and best of luck

Hi Touie, How much Amitriptyline are you taking?

Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen generally don't touch neurological pain at all. Sometimes patients with Type 2 pain do well on a multi-therapy using one of the tricyclic antidepressants like Amitriptyline, plus a low dose of Oxcarbamazepine or Gabapentin, or a muscle relaxant (Flexeril) or mild tranquilizer (Valium) in low doses. Other than those combinations, your doctor may need to prescribe opioid pain killers. The process is largely one of trial and error as patients react individually to medication regimes.

Regards, Red

I'm only on 10mg Amitriptyline and I only started on it Friday just gone :)

10 had no effect on me but once I got to 20mgs it helped a lot. Others take more again and find it helpful. Also it takes a couple of weeks to get the full effect.

Red, Would you consider 12oo mg. of Trileptal (oxcarbamazepine)per day low or high or medium dose?? LOL Min

Min, what I would "consider" is probably best left unsaid in favor of quoting from an authoritative source. (LoL). The following is from http://www.rxlist.com

Adjunctive Therapy for Adults

Treatment with Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) should be initiated with a dose of 600 mg/day, given in a twice-a-day regimen. If clinically indicated, the dose may be increased by a maximum of 600 mg/day at approximately weekly intervals; the recommended daily dose is 1200 mg/day. Daily doses above 1200 mg/day show somewhat greater effectiveness in controlled trials, but most patients were not able to tolerate the 2400 mg/day dose, primarily because of CNS effects. It is recommended that the patient be observed closely and plasma levels of the concomitant AEDs be monitored during the period of Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) titration, as these plasma levels may be altered, especially at Trileptal doses greater than 1200 mg/day [see DRUG INTERACTIONS].

=============

Hope this helps?

Regards, Red

Red, yes thank you very much. That is pretty much what I determined on my own reading what I could from rxlist.com about Trileptal. Sounds kinda familiar. LOL I do appreciate your input. Warmest regards. Min

It took me about 4 months to get a diagnosis and my doctor wasn't helpful about pain medication. I found the Ibuprofen took the edge off. Unfortunately after 4 months on almost 1200 mg daily, I was in trouble.

I began taking Nortriptyline and when I got up to 30 mg I felt like it helped. As soon as the TN pain eased, I realized I was getting pounding headaches that not only responded to the Ibuprofen, they were caused by it. I have spent the last 10 days detoxing from a Medicaion Overuse Headache and now I'm painkiller free but the TN is acting up so I just sit it out and hope the Nort works.

Don't overuse the painkillers. The detox is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm even still trying to get everything back to "normal".

I have ATN and I take a Lortab 7.5 or 10 and once that kicks in I'm good to go most of the time. It usually doesn't last for very long though so I'll take 800mg of Ibprohen about an hour or two later if I'm still feeling pain. That's doesn't always help but sometime it does. I love Lortab — which sounds terrible out loud but I keep them with me at all times.

Jessica, I pretty much have to, I do the same thing with my perc's. You just never know when you will have a spike thru. I've found it better to be safe. Min

ha glad i'm not alone ;) i'm glad we both have something that helps a little bit .. i'm heartbroken for those who can't find relief from painkillers.

Min C said:

Jessica, I pretty much have to, I do the same thing with my perc's. You just never know when you will have a spike thru. I've found it better to be safe. Min