Alternatives to tricyclics (if they've worked for you)

I have found much pain relief with amitriptyline and nortriptyline, however I have had fairly severe side effects and need to stop using them. Has anyone found pain relief with tricyclics and also found another medication to be helpful? I'm trying to figure out what to try next and my neurologist isn't really of any help. Aside from the tricyclics, I have tried Tegretol, Trileptal (partial relief initially) and Topamax. I am aware of the many anti-convulsant medications, but I'd like to hear from others who have a similar experience. Thanks for sharing!

Gabapentin is a good drug. But I used it in conjunction with one the anticonvusant. I've also been on Effexor for depression but it also for pain management. Klonopin worked for me, but also in conjunction with other drugs. I basically was on a cocktail of drugs. Get some of the Lidocain cream or gel. I believe the perscription strength is becoming otc. Right now otc is 4%. I used it everyday on my face and gums. It really works on nerve pain. One neurosurgeon recommended a marijuana tincture that works at once. But marijuana is legal in my state. I had MVD in July and there is no pain.

gabapentin

lidocaine gel

klonopin

possibly MJ

effexor = but it's hard to come off of and has only some effect on nerve pain.

I used these in conjunction with topiramate