Numb

I had MVD two months ago, right side of my face is numb even inside my ear and some part of my scalp couple of weeks ago I stared to feel my ear by now I can feel it completlly and my scalp is not as numb as it used too. I wonder is If Im going to be able to feel the rest of my face. Anybody felt it that way??

I had my MVD a year ago today. The TN pain is 95% gone, however since the MVD surgery I have had a number of issues crop up that were not mentioned prior to the surgery. They did mention the possibility of numbness in the face and said it would go away with time. I am struggling with terrible headaches and an incision that constantly reminds me that it is there. My right ear continues to feel as though it is plugged up every once in a while. I have been prescribed every medication for migraine headaches known to man and have been on a class 2 narcotic since December of 2012 for the headaches and incision pain. I finally go insurance approval for Botox injections and once the pharmacy and prescription coverage work out the delivery to the neurologist, I will start that. Hopefully next week. As far as the numbness, mine was gone in about 12 weeks and did not return. Hang in there. If the TN pain is gone and as long as you do not run into any other major issues you have won the battle.

I had my MVD almost 7 weeks ago. The right side of my face(MVD side) is numb but did improve a little right away with my top lip getting some feeling back. The rest has not but I'm hopeful it eventually will. I was warned that I could experience some numbness and I know the nerves can take a very long time to heal. I'd give it more time. it's a good sign that your scalp and ear are better!

Had my MVD almost 2 years ago. The entire right side of my face is numb. This includes the right side of my tongue and lips. The facial pain on the right can be excrutiatingly painful at times.

Thanks Mary! Hope you feel better and all your issues just stop

Thanks Deej I will try to be patient I kno I need more time.

Hi Birdie!! What the Doctor says about your numbness??

I had mine 30 years ago and still have periodic numbness exactly as you describe. It has a tendency to come and go with no impact on my life. I do notice that if I get extremely tired it has a tendency to pop up with more vigor. I suspect you will continue to see progress in that area but what a trade off from that TN pain.Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful surgery and wishing you a pain free life from here on.

Thanks for your reply Ed, Big hug for you!!

Thanks for your reply Ed, Big hug for you!!

After surgery, I had a numb left side of part of my tongue, numbness on scalp obove the scar and around the ear, and I could not hear out of the left ear, part of the lip was also numb. I also lost most of my sense of taste which helped a lot with the hospital food. The tongue took at least 4 months to come back completely. The hearing came back quicker, probably 3 months to come back completely. The scalp is still partially numb, but it does not bother me. The taste came back within a month completely. The lip came back within a month or two.

Hi Vevi, I had an aborted MVD 10 months ago, and although the MVD itself didn't get to be performed (my brain herniated when they removed the piece of skull and opened the dura etc, fun times, ugh) I still suffered the side effects - The numbness in my ear, scalp etc has more or less mostly come back, it's a little patchy lol as some places I'm more aware of sensation than others. Initially there didn't appear to be any facial problems, but over the course of a few months it became more apparent that I've suffered some facial drooping because of it...My family say it's barely noticeable, but to me it sticks out like the proverbial that my right eyebrow has sagged, and it even feels 'heavy' over my eye. Not happy about it, since I didn't even get the benefit of the surgery :(

I have numbness on both sides of the face, across both lips and across the eyes. I lost hearing in my right ear and am losing my taste. My tongue and teeth are numb. I have no pain, however, the numbness keeps spreading. The MRI is negative.I drool as well, how embarrassing and can't tell when my nose runs! I have run through all of the usual meds. Anyone else like me out there?

WELL I HAD MVD TWO MONTH AGO, AND STILL HAVE PAIN ON THE SIDE OF THE SUGERY. ALSO I HAVE A RARE CASE AND HAVE PAIN ON BOTH SIDES. ON THE SURGERY SIDE, MY TONGUE AND UPPER LIP HURT AND ALSO FEEL NUMB SOMETIMES, ALSO I GOT A BLOOD CLOT IN MY HEAD FROM THE SUGERY. ANYONE ELSE GOT A BLOOD CLOT FROM THIS?