NORTRIPTYLINE has changed my world!

Hi All, I have been taking Nortriptyline and it has changed my TN world! I highly recommend this prescription. It took about 3 - 4 weeks to kick in, but now, after 8 weeks, I am pain free. I haven't felt this good since I can remember! Happy is a good thing!

1 Like

Congratulations! on finding a med that works for you! I'm on Amitriptyline and it works well on the pain..Only side affect is extreme tiredness..Does Nortriptyline cause you to be extremely tired? I'm glad you are pain free..

So happy to see a success story. I was on Amitriptyline for a year and switched to Nortriptyline about a month and a half ago. These medications are my lifesavers too!

Stephanie,

I was on Amitriptyline for over a year and switched to Nortriptyline about a month and a half ago. Both meds have been my lifesavers.

I switched to Nortriptyline bc the side effects are supposed to be less and they are. The main side effects I had with A. were the fatigue (especially in the morning) and terrible dry mouth. I had some weight gain too (10 lbs). Its too soon to see if that is better. Both are way better with Nortriptyline and it seems to control my pain the same.

Jane

stephanie said:

Congratulations! on finding a med that works for you! I'm on Amitriptyline and it works well on the pain..Only side affect is extreme tiredness..Does Nortriptyline cause you to be extremely tired? I'm glad you are pain free..

Is anyone using nortriptyline for the burning boring? Does it help both?

Justjane,

Thank you for the information..I will have to talk to my doctor about trying Nortriptyline I have extreme tiredness and dry mouth...I'm glad it works well for you...

Hi Stephanie, Yes, it makes me tired, so I take it at night. Also, I have retained about 4 pounds in water weight, which I don't care for, but would rather deal with that then the TN pain!

stephanie said:

So happy to have found this website and support forum!

Yes I have ATN with constant type pain. It works very well for me.

punkin said:

Read my post on the cost of amitriptyline and do me a favor and call your insurance company and see what they are charging for it next year. My insurance company has increased the price for amitrip next year by 10X. If it were to get rid of my pain, I would pay their ridiculous prices but I take a host of others and still have pain.....

I have Kaiser Insurance, so my monthly cost is only $10.00.

HI, COULD YOU RELATE HOW THIS MED HAS EFFECTED YOUR LIFE, FOR EXAMPLE:MOOD OR BEHAVIOR CHANGES, AGGRESSIVE, ETC. I HAVE TN AND ALL THESE SIMILAR MEDS HAVE MADE LIFE WORSE. THANKS

MY PAIN IS ONLY DURING THE DAY. AT NIGHT I HAVE NO PAIN WHILE I SLEEP BCAUSE THE NERVE IS ASLEEP. TXS

Amitriptyline made me tired. Very tired. So I think my patience would run thin. That medication also gave me dry mouth and weight gain. So far the Nortriptyline is way better. I do think it makes me feel a bit wired--has anyone else thought this? Like a little on edge and jumpy. Overall it is a pretty good medication for me. I'm not pain free but it is manageable. I am living my life to its fullest!
dulbis said:

HI, COULD YOU RELATE HOW THIS MED HAS EFFECTED YOUR LIFE, FOR EXAMPLE:MOOD OR BEHAVIOR CHANGES, AGGRESSIVE, ETC. I HAVE TN AND ALL THESE SIMILAR MEDS HAVE MADE LIFE WORSE. THANKS

1 Like

Hi Dulbis,

Happy to. The other medications made me very depressed and sad. I felt like God was punishing me for some reason, and they weren't taking away the pain and facial shocks. I am usually a very happy person with a sense of humor, and I am now back. We had a dinner party last weekend, which I haven't had in a year. NORTRIPTYLINE has really made a difference for me. Remember, it takes about 4 weeks or so to kick in, so don't be discouraged. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, that's the only med i haven't tried. My TN came from a dentist who pulled a wisdom tooth and touched the nerve enough to leave me in this predicament. I've tried it all including "gamma knife" which did nothing. Thanks for your input. Happy to know you're doing better. God works miracles!!

Debbie said:

Hi Dulbis,

Happy to. The other medications made me very depressed and sad. I felt like God was punishing me for some reason, and they weren't taking away the pain and facial shocks. I am usually a very happy person with a sense of humor, and I am now back. We had a dinner party last weekend, which I haven't had in a year. NORTRIPTYLINE has really made a difference for me. Remember, it takes about 4 weeks or so to kick in, so don't be discouraged. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Hi, as i told Debbie, that's the only med i haven't tried. My TN came from a dentist who pulled a wisdom tooth and touched the nerve enough to leave me in this predicament. I've tried it all including "gamma knife" which did nothing. Thanks for your input. Happy to know you're doing better. God works miracles!!

justjane37 said:

Amitriptyline made me tired. Very tired. So I think my patience would run thin. That medication also gave me dry mouth and weight gain. So far the Nortriptyline is way better. I do think it makes me feel a bit wired--has anyone else thought this? Like a little on edge and jumpy. Overall it is a pretty good medication for me. I'm not pain free but it is manageable. I am living my life to its fullest!
dulbis said:

Hi all, I hope it works. I learned about this medication from fellow TN sufferers (make sense?) on this website. Please forgive me for not knowing who it was, but there were more than one, and I am grateful for you!!!!

Thank you again. Debbie

Nortriptyline does work very well,it moore or less saved my life when i thought my days of pain couldnt get any worse.I do get pain now after being on them since march,but touch wood,not as bad as it was. My mouth burns still but didnt at first when taking the meds. I do get dry mouth,i constantly have sugar free gum,and have artificial salivia. It can make me tired,so i now take it at 5.00,i used to take it in morning but it interfered with my thyroid tabs.My weight has gone up a bit,as i wanted chocolate,however i havent smoked since jan ,so that contributes to weight gain .

punkin said:

Didnt have a bad effect on mood,made me very laid back for a bit. i am probably more myself now since being on nortriptyline,i just have to put up with the side effects

dulbis said: