Non-Medication Treatment?

Anyone have any success stories with this? Meditation, yoga, massage, anything?

If they have, I want to know so I can try them!

Yes, I get the best results if I combine different approaches - massage (full body and facial), mineral and vitamin supplements (especially magnesium), reasonable diet and a little bit of exercise - even just a walk. As much as I find it difficult to go outside on some days, I feel that I benefit from the sun light and fresh air when I do. I think a lot of chronic pain patients find meditation helpful, also Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy may work for some. Hope this helps. Take care,Oldriska

I totally forgot to mention acupuncture! Last summer it was a life saver for me (although each time it gave me only temporary relief, but it was much needed!)

I'm also interested to know. I'm new to this disease and absolutely detest being on meds. I live a clean life, am a vegetarian (except sometimes fish), fitness instructor, etc. I realize that this disease means a lifetime of meds and/or surgery but I want to minimize the amount of drugs I am on in any way I can. I'm waiting to receive my Striking Back book and will read it cover to cover, probably within a day or two after it comes in the mail. I found a homeopath Dr in my town that I'm thinking of going to. Would love to know if any of you have tried herbs, other supplements or any other complimentary treatments.

Thanks for posting all these great topics!

Be ware - there are many "supplements" targeted for chronic pain that are bogus. Getting off the drugs - I used Lidocaine topical and Reiki sessions to prepare for my MVD. Great combo!

My TN episodes in the past have always co-incided with periods of stress (and being in my head too much) so meditation has worked. I meditate while listening to Solfeggio Tones, which can be downloaded free. Also been doing a fitness programme called Primal Stress, which has dramatically improved my neck, back and general posture, which may or may not have anything to do with TN. I've also been in the habit of trying to eliminate negative thoughts and just being happy in the moment (this all probably sounds a bit wacky now).

All I know is that I haven't suffered from TN for over 6 months since changing my lifestyle. Of course, it may just be a co-incidence!

KCDancer, can topical Lidocaine be purchased over the counter or do you need a prescription?

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Be ware - there are many "supplements" targeted for chronic pain that are bogus. Getting off the drugs - I used Lidocaine topical and Reiki sessions to prepare for my MVD. Great combo!

A chiropractor actually diagnosed me with tn before a doctor did. However, I was 12 and many pediatricians haven't seen children with tn. This past summer I went back to the chiropractor after about a year and it caused a pretty bad episode. Could have been a coincidence, but I've been afraid to go back since then. I recently saw a doctor who suggested botox, but I haven't tried it yet. If I end up giving it a try, I'll let you know how it works. =)

Hi, noelli333

I have tried 2 lots of botox injections, first lot lasted 5 weeks ad 2nd lot was no releif at all......

I asked about Botox when I went to the headache clinic and was told that it wouldn't help. I had read about small studies that said that it did so I am thinking of pushing a bit harded as in my opinion there is nothing to lose. If anyone else has tried it please let us know if it worked for you. From my understanding Accupuncture works but only for a very short time. Tanya, was the Botox done the same way each time?