Hello, I am new but have been reading here for about a month.

My doc suspects I have TN and I think it might be type 2. I have my first appointment with a Neuro next week. I am anxious for the appointment, I feel helpless without a diagnosis. I have been keeping a pain journal too. I have a 1 to 10 pain scale I use, 10 being the worst.

I almost constantly have numbness/tingle in my left cheek close to my nose and this is where the pain will hit first and sometimes spread to my ear, teeth/jaw, over my eye and once the pain went down the side of my neck.

I don't seem to get the shock pains, my is a constant pain that sometimes will be only 15 minutes and has gone as long as 3 1/2 hours. It usually happens in the middle of the night but has happened a few times in the day time. I can only sleep on my right side.

I get anxious and fearful and that caused sleep problems.

We tried Nortriptyline 10mg to see if there were side effects, it was fine but didn't help the pain, did help me fall asleep though. Increased it to 30 mg and it seems to be working better. I am not having as many episodes of extreme pain and not as often as before.

Keeping the journal has helped me find triggers, and I can often predict oncoming pain.

Welcome, sorry you have to be here. Sounds like you've got a good handle on starting

this icky journey!

Good luck! I have a neuro appt on Monday. Got diagnosed by my GP and have been being treated by them. Going to neuro because I keep having breakthrough and having to up my meds.

Thanks and good luck on Monday.

Donna Cook Turnage said:

Good luck! I have a neuro appt on Monday. Got diagnosed by my GP and have been being treated by them. Going to neuro because I keep having breakthrough and having to up my meds.

Thanks for the welcome.

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Welcome, sorry you have to be here. Sounds like you've got a good handle on starting

this icky journey!

Welcome Charlie to the tn support community. I’m sorry your going through but it sounds like you have really good handle on your tn and your treatment. You might want to check out the face pain info area the link for that is up at top of right of your screen. You can info on treatment and also find a list of questions to ask the neuro on Monday. There is wide range of emotions you may feel with TN and all of these are normal to feel. If you have any questions or just need to vent please feel free to do so. This is your safe spot with these needs and your TN. We’re all here to support each other. I hope you have a great day that is pain free:)

Hi Charlie,

I'm new here too and our pain sounds a lot alike. If you want to talk more just let me know. :O)

Hi Charlie,

I am new too and think I have type 2 tn. I posted quite a long desciption of what I am going through and hope someone can help me. What are your symptoms and how did they diagnose it? I have been told there are no tests and it is just a clinical diagnosis. Is that what happened to you? Are you are any meds? I hope I remember how to get back on to this site when I log off. I also had trouble figuring out how to chat with someone when they are on the site. Have you tried that yet? If so can you give me instructions on how to do it?

It seems like we might have the same diagnosis so I hope we can help each other and maybe others who are new to the site. Please answer me if you would like to commuicate with me. Gizmo

Charlie, you have had some great advice here. The suggestion about printing off the relevant area from the FACE PAIN INFO tab, is good. The questions suggested to ask your neuro really will help you.
Gizmo, mostly it is a clinical diagnosis. Also a positive response to TN meds can be confirmation.
When you log off , you can re log back in by giving your email and password. If you are worried you could stay logged on until you are used to us:-)
To chat to members, go to the black header, click on chat, then click on the small red dot lower down on the left, this will make you “online” then if there is anyone about you can chat. Please bear in mind that just because there is a list of people displayed, it does not mean that they are in the CHATROOM. It could mean that they are just logged in. They may not even be on their computers.

Thank you for your help Jackie. I don't remember my password. Is there a way to get it? I logged on to here from my AOL message that I was sent when I first became a member.

Jackie said:

Charlie, you have had some great advice here. The suggestion about printing off the relevant area from the FACE PAIN INFO tab, is good. The questions suggested to ask your neuro really will help you.
Gizmo, mostly it is a clinical diagnosis. Also a positive response to TN meds can be confirmation.
When you log off , you can re log back in by giving your email and password. If you are worried you could stay logged on until you are used to us:-)
To chat to members, go to the black header, click on chat, then click on the small red dot lower down on the left, this will make you "online" then if there is anyone about you can chat. Please bear in mind that just because there is a list of people displayed, it does not mean that they are in the CHATROOM. It could mean that they are just logged in. They may not even be on their computers.

Sorry Gizmo, for your security we do not have access to anyone passwords.

gizmo said:

Thank you for your help Jackie. I don't remember my password. Is there a way to get it? I logged on to here from my AOL message that I was sent when I first became a member.

Jackie said:

To chat to members, go to the black header, click on chat, then click on the small red dot lower down on the left, this will make you "online" then if there is anyone about you can chat. Please bear in mind that just because there is a list of people displayed, it does not mean that they are in the CHATROOM. It could mean that they are just logged in. They may not even be on their computers.