My Update Since 2013 I am Back

Back on Living with TN. It's been a long time. Last year I had my 2nd MVD. 1st was 1991 & was pain free 23 yrs. Pain came back 2013 so had surgery again last year. This time it did not work. I would recommend MVD surgery to anybody having pain that meds do not work for them. I have not been on Tegrotol for 23 years. I am going to Dr. on Thursday & we are changing my meds & will probably go on Tegrotol. I am taking Topamax now.( 600 mg.) I would like to try Trileptal instead of Tegrotol. Don't know if my Dr. will go for it. Does anybody know about this drug?

I've been on Tegretol for a few months. Initially, I was zonked out, felt soooo tired. But as time went by I adjusted to the side effects and don't feel them as severely, even though my dose has slightly increased. It hasn't done a whole lot for my face pain, but has helped with geniculate neuralgia. Have not tried Trileptal, though I hear through here, that the side effects are fewer.

Thanks for the reply. I was on Tegretol 23 years ago and had memory loss. So I am afraid to get back on it. But if it will help the facial pain, I will try it.

OSUBUCKS1 said:

I was on Tegretol for two weeks, but the side effects were too much. I was then on Lyrica for three months but it lost effectiveness. I'm now on Trileptal, but it's not working too well.

I have been on Lyrica and it did nothing for me but put weight on me. So that is out. The pain is so bad right now I can't smile, eat, sleep.... you all know what it is like.

Thanks for the replies. I have an appointment witn a new doctor next Thursday. Hope she can do something.