My journey so far - Atypical ondontalgia

Hello, not sure if there is anyone else from Scotland on here. After having tooth issues in Nov ( a filling needed replaced) i was still in pain and got root canal, still pain so then on 21st dec got tooth extracted. Developed dry socket but 10 weeks still jn pain with antibiotics and painkillers doing nothing. The pain is at tooth extraction site and above. only relief is when i am eating but otherwise pain is persistent and relenting. i go to bed with bit of oragel and wet cold cloth on cheek. On waiting list for oral surgeon. it has been suggested i will prob get an MRI scan. i went to out of hours GP and started 2 days ago 10mg of amitriptalyine…no change as of yet. seeing GP on 20th Nov then so maybe review. I think it takes a while to kick in but perhaps too small a dose. Any tips or questions i need to ask oral surgeon please share any of this knowledge with me. Thanks for your time. If this is chronic condition i am desperate to get some meds tgat work so i don’t constantly feel this crushing feeling on right side of face!!

I do hope that there is a surgical procedure that will work for you.
I think the NOV. is confusing a bit.
My mouth has been brutal so maybe I am not thinking straight.

A couple of things you could try for some relief–try chewing gum, especially peppermint or hot cinnamon. If eating gives you at bit of relief that might help, it was very helpful for me for quite a while. You might also try a mouthgaurd, it is very helpful for me, especially at night, seems to “settle” the nerve. I’ve got one on right now. You might also try a bit of lidocaine (I like it better than benzocaine), either applied with a q-tip at the site, or lidocaine patches along the nerve path on your cheek (google trigeminal nerve). If you haven’t tried capsaicin, I would also give that a try (you can get .1% over the counter cream). Hope you can find some relief soon!

Hi Justine,

As you are in the UK I would definitely recommend the Eastman Dental Hospital in London. I know its hard to make the trip down there and there is probably a significant waiting time (I saw Dr. Fedele I believe his name was through the private insurance section so i was given an appointment in a week or so, but through NHS probably 4-6 months waiting) so maybe you can give them a call and see if they can recommend anyone in Scotland for you. Hope this helps! sending healing thoughts xx

Thanks Tanzee. Did you have similar symptoms to me. As my symptoms seem to be restricted to dental extraction site there seems to be less treatment options than if it were trigeminal neuralgia.

Thanks Ziggy. i certainly chew a lot of gum to help. Its a pain to have to constantly be doing something to get relief. Hoping i can get meds that work and still allow me to function. Can you buy licodaine and capacasin from pharmacist…feel like i may need some guidance re application

You mentioned above. Is it possible it’s the tooth above it? I’ve had referred pain (that’s what they call it.) and it can go from the top to the bottom. It’s just a thought.

Also since you had so much work on the area it might need more time to heal. I’m not an expert at either but maybe that might help. I hope you find some relief soon.

Hi Justine, I have Atypical or type 2 so mostly burning and searing type pains in my 1st and 2nd type branches. From my own experience and from others feedback here over the years, tricyclic antidepressants help the most with burning type pains. you might need to take a higher dose of amitriptalyine or your GP might suggest taking tegretol if you have more type 1 symptoms. But sounds like perhaps the nerve was damaged so it might be more neuropathic pain so antidepressants might be a better fit. Give it some time to work and if it doesn’t there are many more to try so don’t give up hope. I’ve been doing well for 6 years now on anafranil and Neurontin so hang in there. I also use ice or heating pads for temporary relief which might help you until you find meds that work. Hoping for the best for you and keep us updated!

There is now available, through prescription, a 8% capsaicin patch which has been effective in pain reduction. If you use capsaicin jut be careful to keep it away from mucus ,membranes as it can really burn.

You can buy both the lidocaine gel (4%) and capsaicin cream (1%) over the counter, no need to get a prescription. I use Aspercreme and Capzasin-HP brands. My dentist has no problem with me using them on my gums, check with your dentist or endodontist if you are concerned. I used to mix the two, so the capsaicin was diluted to 1/4, as it is strong. Currently I just use the lidocaine, and since my pain is very localized at teeth roots for the most part now, I use a very small amount on a rubber toothpick.

But since your pain is of the burning type, you might have good luck with a topical benzodiazepine. Clorazepam (Klonopin) works well for this–one tablet (.5 mg) dissolved in about a teaspoon of water, and swished around the mouth, or swabbed on the area.

You just have to keep trying different things, and eventually you will find something that will make this manageable for you. But don’t give up hope on healing, as sometimes it takes months to recover completely from dental work.