24/7 gum cheek teeth pain

hi all-since august im out of my mind in pain. been to dentist 4 times, oral surgeon, had mutiple xrays and panaramic xray-i have big filling in upper and lower teeth but xrays show no sign of abcess or need for root canal. my neuro put me on lyrica and i am weeing of neurotin as we figure its just not working anymore. ive been researching alot online, went to vitamin store today. bought omega 3, vitamin b12, ester c, magnesium, wrote up a vitamin and med schedule for myself-im so forgetful all the time....i use extra strength oragel not working at all. i saw cayneene pepper cream in some posts but im afraid to try that. i also saw alot of talk about clove oil. i just might buy that soon. i am going bk to pain mgmt soon to see what else they can do. i was prescibed valium and percocet but cannot take during day as i have children to care for. so i live in pain all day. any suggestion from anyone???? ps-i have tried a few anti siezure drugs but had bad reactions. and the lyrica im not liking too much. i feel very tired and im on the lowest dose to start. thanks

You may want to find out if you are a candidate for surgery. Sounds like some people on here have had terrific results from it. I am taking tegretol, and it has good and bad points, but if you have explored everything with your doctors, maybe it's time for neurosurgery. Wishing you the best.

Hi Lori,
Your pain sounds similar to mine before I got diagnosed late last year with tn. I think I nearly drove my dentist insane going backwards and forwards with terrible pain in my teeth and gums.

I think it is very hard to get the right mix of meds, I am still trying to get it sorted after 11months.
I use the lidocaine gel on my gums, teeth and roof of mouth and it does provide some relief, might be worth considering.

Hugs
Trish

KC dancer always suggest Lidocaine patches, she swears by them. Sorry to read about your severe pain.

thankyou all, i do have lidocaine gel, i did know i can put on gums. i had the patches but ran out, im not covered by them, next time i see pain mgmt ill ask for more.

I am having the same pain in my mouth... Throbbing pain in my gums as though teeth are needing to be pulled. It is excruciating pain ... I cannot drink water even sometime. I have taken to using hydrogen peroxide to get some relief to be able to EAT something. Whatever I put i my mouth caused excruciating pain and burning in my cheek. This has me very depressed because simply drinking water has become an adventure. I see why it is called the suicide disease!

OLMEQ maybe you can get some lidocaine mouthwash prescribed asap1

I avoid very cold and very hot foods and liquids. I drink room temp drinks and use warm water for brushing my teeth.

Also--try using a straw. I eat soft foods and avoid anything "chewy." There are still days I think I would like to pull all my teeth, but, usually things calm down.

You didn't mention prescription medications. Are you on anything for trigeminal neuralgia?

M

OLMEQ said:

I am having the same pain in my mouth... Throbbing pain in my gums as though teeth are needing to be pulled. It is excruciating pain ... I cannot drink water even sometime. I have taken to using hydrogen peroxide to get some relief to be able to EAT something. Whatever I put i my mouth caused excruciating pain and burning in my cheek. This has me very depressed because simply drinking water has become an adventure. I see why it is called the suicide disease!

marymo said:

I avoid very cold and very hot foods and liquids. I drink room temp drinks and use warm water for brushing my teeth.

Also--try using a straw. I eat soft foods and avoid anything "chewy." There are still days I think I would like to pull all my teeth, but, usually things calm down.

You didn't mention prescription medications. Are you on anything for trigeminal neuralgia?

M

OLMEQ said:

Clove oil rubbed on the affected areas is usually quite effective and lessens the pain.

I have a similar story... My dentist thought I was nuts because he, an endodontist, and an oral pathologist could not find anything that would cause pain. Even after multiple xrays and visits. This is what eventually led me to my neurologist who dxed me w/ TN. He has me on Tegretol, which stopped the shocks, but the burning searing pain was still present. This past Friday he added Cymbalta and I haven't had any relief yet. Oragel works for about 30 seconds so I've found that parking some mint chewing gum in my upper lip just gives me a different tingling sensation than the pain.... more bearable, but not gone. This is the struggle for all of us- finding the right combo of meds and homeopathic remedies to make life tolerable.