MVD Recovery Update

I wanted to offer a positive report for anyone contemplating MVD surgery. It has been almost 4 months since my MVD performed by Dr. Fukashima at Duke Raleigh Hospital. Dr. Fukashima is a pioneer in the field of neurosurgery and people come from all over the world seeking treatment from him. His procedure for MVD is less invasive (if you can say that about brain surgery) and has lower risks of complication than other procedures I researched. My incision was only about 3 inches long and the opening in my skull was about the size of a dime. He did find two compressions to the 3rd branch of my nerve. I have not had a TN shock since the moment I awoke from anesthesia. I had some numbness in my lip/tongue/chin after surgery that has gradually decreased over the last 4 months. It is now almost gone. I have regained feeling in all the areas of my skull near the surgical site. My skull is still a little tender and sometimes still itchy from the healing process. However, I am to the point now that many days I do not even think about TN or the surgery I had. This is a major milestone as TN pretty much ruled my life for 4 years. I am a 44 yr mom and could not accept the quality of life I had with the TN. I tried multiple anti-convulsant drugs but did not find one that worked for long or that I could tolerate the side effects of. I am so thankful that my research led me to a gifted surgeon who was able to help me. I encourage all of you to not give up. Be your own advocate. There are many doctors who do not know how to treat this disease. Keep searching until you find one who will listen and be aggresive in finding answers. Wishing everyone on this site pain free days!!

That is wonderful news! So nice to hear that you have had a positive outcome. I wish you all the best for the future & hope you stay pain free. Regards Sally

Fantastic write up. Many here facing the same op will be so relieved when they read this, thank you for the share!

So great to read of your MVD success! Thanks so much for sharing.
Wishing you continued pain free days!
Mimi

Thanks,

Nice to hear a success story.

So glad to hear this, I just had an MVD on October 3rd, I still have pain in my teeth, so I am hoping that settles down soon. I also have numbness near the top of my ear and the incision site and it is itchy as well, so I guess that is normal.

Just curious did you have atn1 or atn 2 or a combo?

Happy you are doing so well

Wendy

Welcome to the club of Remission ! : )

Wendy,

I had TN 1, shocking pain under my bottom right teeth. Just give the numbness time. It will gradually get better and better. I sometimes still feel a "tightness" type sensation under my teeth, but have had no shocking nerve pain. Best wishes to you. I hope you continue to feel better and better.

Michelle

What a lovely positive write up you have done and I'm so pleased that you are recovering well. I am due to have an MVD late Oct/early Nov and am so worried/anxious about it, so your write up was refreshing news for me. I have read a few positive outcomes of MVD's lately and I feel it is so good of people to share their own positive outcomes for people like me who are facing this procedure in the near future.

I hope your recovery continues for you and wish you well for the future

Mandy : )

thanks so much for letting me know, I have that tightness and it still feels like I need a root canal, but I am not giving up hope yet!! I have no shocks either and am off all the meds already it still amazes me this soon after surgery!

I actually dont think the surgery itself was bad at all to be honest, I was surprised how fast I felt better

Wendy

blder1 said:

Wendy,

I had TN 1, shocking pain under my bottom right teeth. Just give the numbness time. It will gradually get better and better. I sometimes still feel a "tightness" type sensation under my teeth, but have had no shocking nerve pain. Best wishes to you. I hope you continue to feel better and better.

Michelle

thanks for sharing . and glad to hear good stories.

i wish we'd hear storied about TN2 type (constant pain) that had MVD with success. haven't reallt heard any sucess stories on that.

My MVD was on October 3rd, i have mostly tn2 pain, the pain in the ear is gone, the lightning strikes are gone, the only thing I have right now is tooth pain that goes from top to bottom all day, but i only need to take motrin now to calm it down. I was told it could take a few months for that pain to go away because the nerves were "jostled" for lack of a better word in surgery. It does get better each day. so as of now I concider myself a good story, I am also off all the meds for TN and starting to feel really good. Hope I helped.

Wendy

Nir Morita said:

thanks for sharing . and glad to hear good stories.

i wish we'd hear storied about TN2 type (constant pain) that had MVD with success. haven't reallt heard any sucess stories on that.

So glad to hear you are feeling better, As a recent MVD beneficiary myself, I am especially happy to hear your good news.

My hope is that success stories like yours will help others move towards a solution with the potential to end their pain long term.

Congrats!!