MVD preparation

I’ve been reading other posts that are about Microvascular decompression and am curious about what can be expected both during surgery and during the recovery process. I have never had any surgeries in my life until now and am scheduled for the MVD on February 13th. I know there are many risks involved and recovery won’t be a walk in the park but I’m fairly excited for the chance to have pain free periods in my life without a ton of meds. Does anyone have any advice or even just random things that can be expected during or after surgery, I’m a nervous person so I try to have as much information going into something that I can. Thank you in advance!

I’ve had two mvd surgeries …
In preparation I went to my hairdresser to shave the area and then braided my hair to keep it neat and out of the way … ask your surgeon to show you the exact area of the incision … both times mine was behind my ear … I kept my hair shoulder length so I could tie it up post op and then let it cover the area perfectly so nobody could tell that my head was shaved
The headache (takes a few days for cerebral spinal fluid levels to top up) post op once the anaesthetic wears off is probably the worst you will ever endure, so drink as much water as you can and keep taking the pain medication… try to wean yourself off the morphine before you leave the hospital … I had 48 hours in ICU and then 10 days in the ward … if possible ask for a private ward or quiet space because you will sleep a LOT
I also limited my food intake to light meals like yoghurt and fresh fruit or nuts to nibble at throughout the day… stay away from carbs and big meals because they will make you bloated and uncomfortable … also ask your doctor to prescribe something to get your bowel moving again … the pain in your head means that straining because of constipation is a big NO
You will also feel lightheaded a lot, so take gentle short walks often … even if it’s just to the window or door and back to bed … try not to sleep laying flat but slightly elevate your head and feet … my hubby came every day to massage my feet and lower legs (that was amazing) …
Get up and into the shower as soon as you can and try to get yourself to the loo once you’re back in the ward and the catheter is removed.
Above all else … take it slow and easy … I stayed away from watching tv and only read magazines for that first week … did a little knitting but mostly slept …
There are lots of risks involved in brain surgery especially … but the golden rules are to
be as relaxed as possible,
gentle and short walks for exercise,
absolutely NO bending or stretching,
drink lots of water and limit tea/coffee/fizzy drinks,
eat sparingly and keep it light,
find a massage buddy for your feet,
take the pain medication when you need it!
God bless and take care of yourself
… on the positive side, I shed nearly 8 kgs
You must also accept that you have a brain injury and adapt your lifestyle accordingly … although I’m basically back to normal at most levels, I’ve had to step down from professional practice since my executive function is temperamental depending on how stressed the circumstances are … I’ve started driving with a gps because traffic distracts me and I frequently “forget” how to get where I was going … I knit for therapy and to help me concentrate so do audio books and listen rather than watch tv … I avoid strenuous exercise to keep my heart rate constant … I take anti-nausea tablets when I travel and a sleeping tablet if the trip is longer than four hours … I always bend at the knee to avoid putting my head
lower than my heart … I take slow release anti inflammatories every day and additional pain medication when I need to … don’t be a martyr to pain but be responsible in how you use the medication … limit yourself to non-addictive substances of possible

I had MVD April 2017. I was petrified, but was very fortunate in that I did not have the horrible headache post op. I was only in ICU 24 hrs then in regular room 1 additional night. I really didn’t have too much pain at the incision site. I only needed 1/2 the dose of fentinal that was ordered the first 24 hrs and tylenol with codeine twice after that. I did not need any further pain meds. My Neurosurgeon found the trigeminal nerve being pressed against an artery and a vein. Two teflon sponges were placed at these locations. When I went home I had family staying with me for 24 X 7 for 10 days. My head was only shaved in the small area behind my ear where mastoid bone is. Nobody could even tell I had brain surgery. I had to wash my hair every day with baby shampoo. No conditioner, no dye for 2 months. I was very fatigued for about a 6 weeks. As stated in the previous post you will have many restrictions, no bending, lifting etc. This is a very strange thing I had happen, my very thick wavy hair has thinned out considerably. Several of the scabs at incision are still there. One finally just came off around Christmas. I see you are not in the US, so not sure what practices are used where you live. I researched my doctor long before I had the surgery and met with him 2 years before I elected to go under the knife. Good luck, I hope you have an easy time of it like I did. Oh, I was able to drive a 5 mile radius after after my stitches came out and then about 2 weeks after that I could drive a little further. I do remember feeling like I could do my normal 2 mile morning walk but when I tried walking with my husband I could only walk around the block and was exhausted. I wasn’t allowed to walk outside without someone being with me for about 3 weeks post op.

I appreciate the input and the information. The whole cerebral spinal fluid thing is freaking me out so I’m for sure going to avoid the bending and straining. Because of my medications I’m kinda used to being lightheaded but I’m probably going to get a cane or something to try to avoid and possible falls. I’m definately gonna stock up on yogurt and foods like that, I didn’t even think of discomfort caused by heavy foods. In the beginning stages of recovery would you suggest reading books or audio books? I’m not sure if reading the actual text would be difficult or make me dizzy.

Hi Natalie
It’s really your personal preference … I found that I tired very easily and listening to an audio book while knitting worked best for me … but I would frequently close my eyes and cat nap for a bit so lost the plot on a lit of the first few books in the two weeks after surgery …
I flew to the UK just three months later and the long leg was a disaster because of the extreme motion sickness issue but I managed up to about four hours flying time just hanging in there … sadly the total flight is about 19 hours from S.A. to the UK … it’s a gruelling trip but essential if I wish to keep contact with my family there.
Best of luck with your surgery, try to keep calm and relax … the surgeons are skilled and carefully follow their directions and guidance … remember that pain is the enemy and it’s the headache and not so much the opsite pain.
Drink LOTS of water … flavour it with slices of lemon or strawberries and mint … anything to make it taste like something … and take it slow and easy … everybody recovers differently and your body will let you know when you’re doing too much

Hi bosltov, i just was reading other topics and posts relating to this all and saw that you had your MVD done by dr John Lee at penn medicine. He will be performing my surgery as well. He seems very skilled at this procedure and his team have been great so far. Did you have good experiences with him and his team during and after the surgery?

Hi Natalie, Dr John Lee is the best. I could not believe how i really didn’t have any pain. I would definitely recommend him. I had no headache afterward. The next morning I felt really good walked around the ICU with a nurse but did not need her assistance. Only needed 1/2 doses of pain med. Had very very good experience on follow ups with Denise Miller, she is a doll. The worst thing for me was the fatigue, but that really only lasted a few weeks. He doesn’t shave alot of hair, so nobody could even see my incision unless I showed them. Best of luck to you, but rest assured you are in great hands. He will make a dvd of your surgery and show you when he clears you for normal function. I was able to drive 5 mile radious after my stitches came out. Hated the baby shampoo everyday and no conditioner or hair dye but that is a small price to pay.

That makes me so happy to hear! I’m a worry wort and have never had surgery so to hear such good things about dr lee is a huge relief. So far the team had been great in answering questions which is always a great thing with anything in the medical world.