Here I go again

The neurologist increased my dose of gabapentin (gradually) up to three 300 mg capsules, three times a day and I started having some side effects I wasn't willing to live with.

My memory was horrible when my daughter came to visit over Labor Day weekend I was sitting across the table from her and I couldn't think of her name, very disconcerting! I was also having some blurred vision and as I prefer to be a functional person I couldn't live with that.

So the dose got reduced to two capsules 3 times a day (a gradual decrease) and he has me taking nortriptylline at bedtime. We'll see how that goes.

I actually had several days pain-free but when I'd been down to the 2 capsules 3 times a day for three days it came back. Maybe we'll reach some kind of compromise with a slightly higher dose of gabapentin with the nortriptylline, he's supposed to call me back later today.

It is so discouraging to be better for a while and then have the darn pain return. I know that is often how this disorder works but it can wear a person down over time.

I hear ya!
I had a great pain free day on Tuesday, gave me hope…and then whammo pain was back the next day…ugh it’s so discouraging! I’m on 1600mg Tegretol and 600mg Neurontin…might have to make it 900mg…
I can relate to the list words/ thoughts, it sucks!
Good luck to you I hope you find your magic combo!
(( hugs)) Mimi

Good luck finding the mix…1600 mgof tegretol is that the same as carmazephine? That worked really well for me.

Yes Lisa, Tegretol is carbamazepine.

Tegretol was the first thing the doctor tried with me and I had 11 migraine headaches in 20 days so that is definitely not the one for me!

As of yesterday I'm now on neurontin 300 mg, two caps 3 times a day and nortriptylline 25 mg, one in the morning and two at bedtime. So far I've had one day pain free. Seeing the neurologist tomorrow to discuss things...

Hi montanamacarol,

I can totally relate to what you have written. My doctor also slowly increased the dosage of Neurontin/Gabapentin to 300mg 3x/day and ever since I started the medication even at lower doses my memory and general mental processing speed has been affected, I've felt drowsy and it has really impacted my ability to work. I have not yet gotten pain relief. My neurologist said to be patient, that the med might not help until I get to 1200mg per day and that usually the brain gets used to it and the mental side effects will usually subside. I am hoping the medication will help you (and me) soon. Dr said if it doesn't work for me, Tegretol is next, though he said it is more problematic. Today I had horrible pain added to stress related to the financial problems created by having to miss hours at work due to the medication, and feeling like the doctor just does not get how painful and problematic this is for me. He says to try to "avoid stress" and try to work my entire shift (even though my work does not permit me to work while under the influence of medication and I am on intermittent FMLA.) I feel overwhelmed and frustrated. I hope you find relief soon!

Since my appointment on Monday (10/1/2012) I am now on gabapentin 300 mg 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 3 at bedtime along with nortriptyline 25 mg 1 in the morning and 2 at bedtime.

When I was at my appointment I wasn't having pain and hadn't had any the day before either. Then it came back Monday afternoon and hasn't left. Hope to talk with the doctor before the end of the day today and see what he'd like me to do next.

I hope you find relief too, Sara. I did find that as my body got used to the increasing doses of gabapentin that the memory issues got somewhat better but at the highest dose I reached (2700 mg/day) they were overwhelming.

Hi, It took well over a year to get the right combination of drugs to help me, I get many side effects (as with any medication) I too sometimes forget my children's or pets name, the kids love and are always having a chuckle at me. keep working at it and good luck xx

Thanks, Mark, I appreciate the encouragement. As of this morning I'm taking Nortriptyline two 25 mg in the morning and at bedtime in addition to the gabapentin 300 mg two in the morning and afternoon and three at bedtime.

All I can say is so far, so good. I was started on Tegretol last October and it caused many severe migraines so I went off that right away (11 migraines in 20 days). Then Baclofen for several months and now this new combination.