Help Please!

I'm having a lot of breakthrough pain on 600 mg of gabapentin 3 times a day. Just spoke with my doctor and he is adding Tegretol. I'm not sure of the dose but he said to take 1/2 pill twice a day for 2 days and then 1 pill twice a day after that and to call him on Monday. I am so scared! I'm having the sharp electric pain spasms in addition to the constant throbbing, face and jaw and electric teeth sensation. I have no idea what to expect as far as the additional medication or the pain! Am I going to be zonked out like a zombie? Please help me as far as what to expect with all of this. I am very newly diagnosed. I think the diagnosis was made July 7, 2014. Help, please!

Hey! Sorry you feel pain. Carbamazepine does knock me out every single time I take it. I suggest an hour nap. It is good for pain just remember you have a chronic pain syndrome and it won’t magically go away. It just dulls it (and everything). First few weeks I everyone’s voice was deeper and overall pain relief. Then I got use to it and it knocks me out less and less everytime. But I find it powerful. Good luck, just remember that when your pain subsides that it is the better alternative and getting off of it you will feel pain and probably worse than before. I’ve tried to get off of it, but feeling pain just sucks. I hope it works for you, staying active helps but it’s difficult to want to be active.

Thank you for replying. I am amazed I found my way back to this thread. Not good at maneuvering these kind of sites when I am feeling well. I don’t mind being forced to take a nap, other than the thought of the CPAP! I forgot to mention that I also have sleep apnea and wear the mask at night. Can you imagine the insult that is to my sensitive face? Don’t think I’ll be using it for naps in the middle of the day. Just wondering if you or anyone has found that sound is a trigger? The sound system at church, the vacuum machine and the lawn mower are all causing me severe pain today! I hate the thought of more meds but am willing to do whatever it takes to make the pain go away!

Tegretol seems to be good for some people. But there can be side effects such as a little tiredness and brain fog.

My spouse uses it exclusively and so far is the only thing that has worked to "separate" him from his pain.

Hmm, maybe the vibrations from the sleep apnea machine is creating triggers? Or might it be the air and the mask up against your face?

Patty said:

Thank you for replying. I am amazed I found my way back to this thread. Not good at maneuvering these kind of sites when I am feeling well. I don't mind being forced to take a nap, other than the thought of the CPAP! I forgot to mention that I also have sleep apnea and wear the mask at night. Can you imagine the insult that is to my sensitive face? Don't think I'll be using it for naps in the middle of the day. Just wondering if you or anyone has found that sound is a trigger? The sound system at church, the vacuum machine and the lawn mower are all causing me severe pain today! I hate the thought of more meds but am willing to do whatever it takes to make the pain go away!

Immmmmmmediatly

Call dr.
Ask him to call in
Lidocaine mouthwash
And also. Lidocaine face cream or face patches

You can possibly stay on lower meds this way!

There is a link under this thread that says "Follow". If you click it, it will send you an email whenever there is a reply. I usually follow threads of personal interest. Just a thought if you have trouble maneuvering.

Are you able to get a different mask for your CPAP? Like the ones with just an elastic band around the head? I forgot the name of them.

Patty said:

Thank you for replying. I am amazed I found my way back to this thread. Not good at maneuvering these kind of sites when I am feeling well. I don't mind being forced to take a nap, other than the thought of the CPAP! I forgot to mention that I also have sleep apnea and wear the mask at night. Can you imagine the insult that is to my sensitive face? Don't think I'll be using it for naps in the middle of the day. Just wondering if you or anyone has found that sound is a trigger? The sound system at church, the vacuum machine and the lawn mower are all causing me severe pain today! I hate the thought of more meds but am willing to do whatever it takes to make the pain go away!

HOLLY SMOKES does sound cause a flare up in me! also seeing too much light all day. I just close my eyes to rest them. Too much sensory overloads my whole face. My father has sleep apnea and used to wear the mask, and now has gotten an elevated pillow that puts him up on a 90 degree angle and was able to get off the mask. Maybe check that out. Its like a big foam triangle. Sleeping upright will take some getting used to but its also good for stomach issue.

Patty said:

I was a music teacher but no more thanks to TN. Vibrations and sound bother me. Right now, the Rolling Stones in the next room are driving my head over the edge...my son is a drummer and that never seems to bother me but when there were 20 beginning drummers or violinists in the next room at school, OMG! I love music and most of the time I can't even sing due to the fact that I can't open my mouth or the vibrations in my mouth. Hang in there, its not just you. The higher the dose of Tegretol, the more symptoms. The usually come down after your body adjusts except for the part where you cant remember what the hell you were talking about or what a word is but you have to have humor.