Hello

Just wanted to say hello to all you fellow sufferers xx

I saw a neurologist in September for the first time. I have had attacks of Neuralgia in my ears, eyes, cheeks and up the back of my scalp (separate attacks at different times over the years). As the Neuralgia pain is able to move about, the neurologist said the cause must be viral - Herpes within the trigeminal ganglion. Has anyone had/heard of this diagnosis or anything similar?

I wonder about this and have talked to others that do. I have even talked with people that have been prescribed viral medication for herpes to treat TN--or the supposed cause of it.

Given what we know about herpes zoster I think it is plausible that herpes simplex can cause problems. I think just the fact that it stays in the trigeminal nerve is too coincidental. I have been getting a breakout of cold sores during flair ups. But not everyone that has cold sores has neuropathic pain so there must be more to it.

thanks for your reply

Interesting that you actually have a breakout. I don't have any visual signs during an attack.

The pain travels down my nerve towards the centre of my head, you would think Herpes would be travelling outwards towards the skins surface in order to blister??

hdu, I suggest you leave a comment on RED LAWHERNS page, he is our site expert and may know.