Has anyone tried topical meds?

Hi. I was just talking to my pharmacist and I asked her if she had any ideas for helping me get through a really nasty period of breakthrough pain. They are a compounding pharmacy and she said that yes, they can make compounds of things like gabapentin and baclofen and something else that I'd never heard of, and that sometimes, applied directly on the face, these can help reduce the nerve pain. She asked me to have my neuro call them to discuss.

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or tried anything like this. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get a lidocaine patch, as suggested by another member, today.

What do people do for nourishment when eating is so hard? Protein shakes? Ensure? Just wondering.

Faye

Yes, I've heard of using a compound. I know someone who's had a lot of success this way. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks, Crystalv. Good to know that this has worked for someone. I am going to follow up with my neuro on Monday. She's hard to reach so that part is going to be tricky, but worth it.

Meanwhile, I just popped my first gabapentin after realizing that resistance was futile. :(

ensure is supposedly good for you -- time for comfort foods -- mashed potatoes - mac and cheese? Pudding, babyfood, ice cream?

Ensure and ice cream would be nice . Make some fruit juice and drink some soup.

I tried St. Johns wort oil on my face which was useless. Last week I used Capsaicin cream on my face which worked in changing my pain sensation but I ended up getting some in my eye ... not fun!!!

Please let us know if these other creams work. I would be very interested in trying them as I don't want to take Tegretol again and am now at that place.

Ok, let me see what I can learn and I'll post back when I know something real.

Nancy, sorry about the capsaicin in your eye. Did it at least take your mind off the pain in your face for a little while? (Not that funny.) What do you mean that it changed your pain sensation? Was there an improvement? Where did you get capsaicin cream?

Yes it took my mind off the pain and changed the sensation from numb, tingling and pulling to a very warm burning. Not ideal but I think we all understand when I say sometimes any other sensation is a relief.

I got the cream from a local drugstore, London Drugs, as they have it behind the counter in different strengths. I used the strongest one I could buy and it was 0.075%, it was $20. I noticed Shoppers Drug Mart sells the same strength cream under the brand name Zostrix for $30.

As for nourishment, I drank Ensure when I took Tegretol as I had no appetite and was losing weight.

I am interested to know if you had any success with a compounded cream and if so what were the ingredients?

Zapgirl said:

Thanks, Crystalv. Good to know that this has worked for someone. I am going to follow up with my neuro on Monday. She's hard to reach so that part is going to be tricky, but worth it.

Meanwhile, I just popped my first gabapentin after realizing that resistance was futile. :(

Go to the groups tab - and read the postings under the group called topical relief (something like that)

A popular one is lidocaine mixed with Ketamine !

nwbeach said:

I am interested to know if you had any success with a compounded cream and if so what were the ingredients?

Zapgirl said: