Had my MVD surgery last week (Type 2)

Well, it's wasn't a true "MVD", but I did have my surgery on Monday the March 11th, and I am so surprised and proud of myself how well I am doing almost 2 weeks later! My neurosurgeon knew from the MRI that there wasn't an artery to be the culprit, so the plan was to splice the nerves to provide temporary or maybe even more permanent numbness to the right side of my face. That was accomplished along with removing a large vein that was pressing against the nerve. The surgery went well besides the fact that I had a reaction to something ? and broke out in hives and started to have breathing problems. Of course this is incredibly scary, so they stopped and handled that, but I continued to have hives and breakouts the rest of my hospital stay. With everything you get exposed to in a hospital, it's impossible to say what I was allergic to! Having to add Benadryl to everything else they had me on was an exciting experience. ;)

Anyway, when I was in ICU, I remember a nurse moving blanket and it brushing against my face, (my body braced in it's normal reaction for the incredible pain to follow that would probably even make me lose bladder control) and it felt like a little pressure and awkwardness, but no pain! I let out a yelp without knowing it and my husband just apolligized as normal, but I began to sob happy tears! I still cry when I touch my face, when can wash it, and when my 5 year old daughter can kiss my cheek. I does feel achey when I touch it a lot, but I won't go crazy. Surgery was a complete SUCCESS.

Sure, my eye is still achey and droopy, my nose gets the shooting pains, my jaw hurts almost as much as before, but I have had some moments in these last 2 weeks that have made my weep in happiness and have made a brain surgery feel worthwhile! That has got to mean something! As I write, I have tears running down my cheeks and they aren't killing me.

Recovery hasn't been too bad! The scar is teeny tiny compared to others that I have seen, my Dr did a fantastic job, it's about 2 ins long. (I added a pic) The biggest issue I have is with balance, I am still using a walker around the house and hope to use a cane soon, but too shakey as of now.

Thank you all for the support and advise. I am so grateful that we have each other. I never once had a moment that I shouldn't do this surgery and I am so glad that I did it. Recovery is so not what I though it would be, pretty easy-peasy. Just a lot of being pretty tired, hard to not push myself once I start to feel a little more like myself. And of course, I hate not being able to take a full shower for 2 weeks. 2 more days.... :)

-Aimee

368-IMG_0532.jpg (1.97 MB) 369-IMG_0555.jpg (1.33 MB)

Aimee,
So pleased to hear your news! Thanks for sharing your story, sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. I wish you continued healing and well-being, ENJOY! Please keep updating us on your progress!
((Hugs)) Mimi

Grrrrrreat! People here need to know that there is hope out there - and that some of us get better than we started!

Your scar is way smaller than mine! So glad you’ve gotten some relief!

Aimee, this is so good to read. I am doing a little happy dance for you. those kisses from your daughter must be heavenly!

So happy for you! Kisses are always great...i'm glad your daughter can kiss you. I know how much of a big deal that can be.

Thank you for sharing your happiness with us.

~Mistee

Aimee I am soo soo happy for you I have thought about you alot I knew your surgery was this month Im glad you have relief from the pain and may it stay gone forever!!! So brave You have given type 2 patients hope!! Thankyou for posting!!