Got approved for a 2nd try at Gamma Knife

This will be a 2nd try at irradiating the scar on my Geniculate Nerve from getting Shingles in 2011 both internally and externally.

My RO took it to the Board of RO's at Botsford Cancer Treatment Center in Farmington Hills, MI over a month ago and they just called for me to come down for the surgical consult and to sign on the dotted line a dozen or more times. Then I run over to Troy to do the same at my Neurosurgeons office!

It is possible that I could be in surgery the following Monday. I have already been approved for a second try with my Neurosurgeon so it could go pretty fast.

He promised me that when presenting my case he would tell them that I would not consider another try without an increase in radiation or time in.

I'm getting pretty worked up over this and it may not even happen for a couple of weeks. I'm just going by how fast it went the first time. Sign on Fri., surgery on Mon.

I just really hope it works this time because I won't do it again.

I'll just be on Narcotics for the rest of my dayz and boy, won't that be fun? You know I'm kidding right?

I will update when I get back home, whenever that will be ;)

Happiest of Mothers Days for all the special Moms there are here!

PeacenLove~Always~Laurel aka shinglesdidit

Blessings! You did a great advocating for yourself,please take it slow...

~E

Thank you Ester! Your kindness means a lot. ~Always~Laurel~

Edster said:

Blessings! You did a great advocating for yourself,please take it slow...

~E

Hi, Laurel — I wish that my 2nd, and my 1st Gamma Knife never happened. The third intervention was an MVD by Dr. Ben Carson in 2006, and it worked really well on the large stabbing pain, but the Gamma Knife damage and pain did not change with the MVD.

By doing Gamma on two different areas of the nerve, with the second time being twice as long as the first, but the same amount of radiation, the radiation actually cut the nerve, thus leaving me with anesthesia delorosa—the worst of all maladies because there is no turning back the problem, it's here for life apparently.

When going to see Dr. Burcheil for his advice a while back, he said that there was nothing he could do to fix the problem, but try to destroy the nerve in a different way, beit one of the other methods rather than Gamma Knife. But he said one thing that stuck with me, he asked me why would we try to destroy the nerve more when in trying time #1 and #2 it did not work? He said to come back if I felt like jumping off a bridge, other than that he thought I was maintaining pretty well and to keep up the good work.

It's rather sobering knowing that my husband and I chose this for me, along with the doc, who knew better than we did. In hindsight I wish we'd gone to see Dr. Carson at Johns Hopkins for our first try to abolish the pain. We were just too scared to open my skull! Please be very careful in your choices as pain can drive a person to choose quickly without counting the costs and doing their due diligence in research. Trust your gut, and remember there is not a rush to get ANY procedure done. Please friend me to see more of my story if you'd like, or if you'd like to talk privately. Take good care, Lauel!

Thank you so much Lynda. We will talk more when I get back.

LyndaS said:

Hi, Laurel — I wish that my 2nd, and my 1st Gamma Knife never happened. The third intervention was an MVD by Dr. Ben Carson in 2006, and it worked really well on the large stabbing pain, but the Gamma Knife damage and pain did not change with the MVD.

By doing Gamma on two different areas of the nerve, with the second time being twice as long as the first, but the same amount of radiation, the radiation actually cut the nerve, thus leaving me with anesthesia delorosa—the worst of all maladies because there is no turning back the problem, it's here for life apparently.

When going to see Dr. Burcheil for his advice a while back, he said that there was nothing he could do to fix the problem, but try to destroy the nerve in a different way, beit one of the other methods rather than Gamma Knife. But he said one thing that stuck with me, he asked me why would we try to destroy the nerve more when in trying time #1 and #2 it did not work? He said to come back if I felt like jumping off a bridge, other than that he thought I was maintaining pretty well and to keep up the good work.

It's rather sobering knowing that my husband and I chose this for me, along with the doc, who knew better than we did. In hindsight I wish we'd gone to see Dr. Carson at Johns Hopkins for our first try to abolish the pain. We were just too scared to open my skull! Please be very careful in your choices as pain can drive a person to choose quickly without counting the costs and doing their due diligence in research. Trust your gut, and remember there is not a rush to get ANY procedure done. Please friend me to see more of my story if you'd like, or if you'd like to talk privately. Take good care, Lauel!