General Facial Pain Discussion

I thought this might be helpful to people who have had routine MRI’s;

Certain imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can be used to assess for or rule out underlying causes of TN including tumors or multiple sclerosis. An MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to produce cross-sectional images of particular organs and bodily tissues. However, it is difficult to see a blood vessel pressing against the trigeminal nerve root through a “routine” MRI.

“Facial pain experts may order a “targeted” MRI, which usually means using a high resolution MR(3T), with special attention paid to the trigeminal nerve. This test may be performed with or without gadolinium, a contrast agent that is used to enhance the scanning results and supply a more detailed picture of tissues such as the brain or blood vessels. On some MR machines this is called FIESTA sequences. This means that 1 millimeter thin sections are taken, in a coronal plane, without any skips in between images, through the entire course of the trigeminal nerve. This results in a high likelihood of finding the offending vessel. This targeted method often yields an identified cause even in individuals who have been told that they have a normal MRI (routine study).” Blessings to all, barbiedollstars

I found this on NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)

Thanks for sharing. Very useful information. May I share this on one of my support groups?

1 Like

I am happy to help anyone on this site, so gladly use it with my blessings, barbiedollstars:tulip:

Do you know where you can get this type of MRI? We live in southern Calif. and we have Kaiser Insurance. They only have the basic MRI’s.

I have Kaiser insurance also (Portland, OR) and they are sending me to OHSU to see Dr. Burchiel, who specializes in TN and they also do FIESTA MRI’s. Since Kaiser was unable to treat me adequately (no Neuro that specializes in TN) my internist had to get authorization for me to be seen somewhere where they could treat me adequately. Check around for the hospitals in SoCal that have facial pain disorder/TN specialty departments. You can usually find Dr./hospital recommendations on the FPA website.

I am sorry, I do not. I only read about it as I do a lot of research. You can try places like the Mayo Clinic or John Hopkins. Where I live in IL they don’t have much they can do for TGN. Blessings, barbiedollstars:rose: