Gabapentin and Baclofen-- Scared they've stopped working!

I am currently on 1800 mgs of gabapentin and 30 mgs of baclofen a day and the past few days I’ve been having some really bad breakthrough pain. I am terrified this medicine has stopped working. I have tried taking an extra baclofen or an extra gabapentin capsule and I don’t believe it’s helping. I was taken off Carbatrol because I broke out with sores in my mouth. Anyone know ways I can control this pain? I’m having trouble eating, talking, ect. I’m so scared it’s going to turn into full blown attacks again. I need relief, I’m going crazy.

Dear Cheyane93

I am sorry for your pain. I have been where you are at. I was like you in full pain and 2400mg of Gabapentin a day 40 mg of Baclofen a day and 2400 mg of Oxcarbazapine a day. I could not function an it barely touched the pain. I had to drop back on the Baclofen to 20 mg at night only. It really affected my vision. I had Gamma Knife Radiation in Feb. and have had no pain since. Before that I had a MVD that only lasted 2 years. Until then I had been on 900 mg of Carbatrol. Have you talked to you doctor about alternative procedures. The drugs can consume you life. I have my life back. Please talk to your doctor. My thoughts are with you.

Julia

Hey, Ive had tn for the past 3 years and after gabepentin my Neurologist suggested Lyrica along with Aptiom. After adjusting the dosage and some very good chiropractic work I have been 99 percent pain free for the past 8 months. Gabepentin didnt last long for me. Call your doctor and look for a good chiropractor that knows about TN and asked him for help. Hope this helps you.

I hope you find that magic combination that can lead to better control. I am going on a year of constant pain. I had radiation treatment on my face and was doing so much better until a tooth extraction. Prayers for you.

Tried all the drugs & finally a new doctor suggested cyber knife procedure & I’ve been pain free for over 3 years with no more medication! I did develop numbness on right side of face 2 years after procedure but it’s better than the pain!

Have you ever had micro vascular decompression surgety or gamma knife? It might be time to consider MVD. I’ve had the medication stop working where nothing helps too. Surgery might be something to consider.

Actually cyberknife sounds like a good one to consider.?? Everyone is different.

I’m sorry , the same thing happens to me , new drugs work for a time and then they just stop working . Might be time to try something new . I was on gaba and baclofin for awhile and then it just slowly stopped . Now I’m on carbamazapine and I think it works better without the dizziness. Good luck