Fine motor skills

Hi Guys,

Have been having some problems with fine motor skills, using wrong words (e.g. saying hands instead of feet) and difficulty swallowing small tablets ( sticking in throat). G.P. thinks due to medication side effects. Also memory shot to bits, just wondering if anyone else has these problems. On Tegretol 1300mg, Cymbalta 60mg and Amitriptyline 70 mg. Still getting pain. Just really looking for some reassurance.

Ann.

Yes, anan I experience this too on Tegretol XR…I’m on 1400mg…I didn’t have this at 800mg only when I’m on the higher doses…
(( hugs )) Mimi

Thanks Mimi,

I was beginning to think it was only me. I was wondering when they will try a lower dose as I ccan't work like this and they are beginning to think the worst I think.. they have called me to go in for meeting next week and I don't know what to tell them. worried they will take me to a competancy hearing.

Have you gotten good pain coverage at your current dose?
I ask, because my neuro and I have always had an agreement that if my pain is covered for at least 4-6 weeks, then I can reduce my tegretol by one 200mg tablet…if that doesn’t work and the pain rears I add the pill back. ( I always give it 3 days aprox.) once my pain is covered again after several weeks I’ll try just 1/2 a pill 100mg.

I’m still off work, I can’t return at my current dose …
Don’t stress about it, I know easier said than done, but you know the stress will only make things worse…hopefully work can be accommodating…
Positive thoughts!
Mimi xx

Hi yes I’ve had dreadful problems like yours which has led to an extended period away from work. I’m having nerve block injections to try and cut down on meds x

Hi Ann, You are not alone, I say the wrong words all the time. My doctor said its a side effect of the Gabapentin I am taking 1600mg plus Nortriptlyine. I also forget a lot The worst was while I was driving to a place I drove to a zillion times,I had no idea how to get there. That really freaked me out at the time.

My wife thought i was totally losing it.And i kinda was.Yes,Tegretol is hell on short term memory and the things you describe.Just roll with it and cut down when possible.Good luck!

Thanks Guys,

Just what I needed to hear, Pain coverage soso Mimi, Lets say I know when to take next dose of meds. Will keep you all updated.

I am on a very low dose of Teg and have the same issues. Unfortunately normal for this type of med. The good news is you are not crazy.

deffo the tegretol, you are not crazy dear Ann, i experienced the same when i was on tegretol.x