Feeling lost. Please help

Okay. So… My neurologist has referred me to pain management, which is on the 25th. I don’t feel confident in my neurologist’s ability to treat me even though he’s the head of neurology at our best clinic here.

I say this because I asked to be prescribed Trileptal vs Tegretol because I’ve read the side effects are less severe. He said Trileptal isn’t even indicated for TN. Then he never told me if I have type 1 or 2. A doctor at the practice saw me at the ER and said I have type 1.

My pain is fairly constant with a heavy, throbbing, aching and stabbing feeling. I have stabbing deep in my ear, too. I used to have jolts, but for the most part my neurontin (I’m on 3200mg a day) helps this.

I know some people have little reaction to Tegretol or Trileptal but I’ve tried taking the Trileptal and I cannot function. I need to function. I have an 18 month old and my hubby was injured at work 5 months ago and having surgery in less than two weeks.

What do I do?!

I’m also on Wellbutrin, but considering asking for cymbalta.

I’m also considering going to a city 2.5 hours away where they have neurologists that treat TN.

Why does neurontin help my jolts and zaps but not this aching/stabbing/throbbing pain?

My pain has been really bad over the past week, but I think that’s because I’ve been talking and eating more with my younger brother and his family in town.

What do you think?

Thank you!