Feedback on bilateral TN pain

I have been diagnosed with bilateral TN. Could use some feedback on how symptoms present themselves. My right side pain is completely different than the left side. My left side was eye, ear with buzzing, sharp knife like pain also upper jaw was intense with some lower jaw pain. Left side also phantom tooth pain. My right side started at the crown of my head radiating to ear and upper jaw. Right side acts up at nite time, thats the worst for that side. Can anyone share their experience with bilateral TN would be appreciated
My Best
joanne

Hi Loanne,
I also have Bilateral ATN. Mine has been on my right for several years, presenting as a burning pain in my scalp, along with a feeling of pressure in my right eye, cheek, and upper teeth. I had always attributed these pains to another condition I have, a Chiari Malformation, so i never sought treatment for them.It wasn’t until December 2011 that I started getting the shocking pains. I was definitively diagnosed in June of 2012 and started with Tegretol, which really helps, but I developed any allergy to it, and was switched to Gabapentin. It wasn’t until October of 2012 that I started having pains on my left side. The left side started with the shocking pains in my cheek and eye, and moved on to the burning in the scalp.The left side has never been as painful as the right, however, I experienced all of these while taking 2400 mg of Gabapentin a day, so I am not sure of what the left side would be like without medication.
I did have an MRI show a vein compression on the right, and an artery compressing the nerve on the left. I had MVD on my right in January of this year. Although I do consider the surgery mostly successful, I am still experiencing the right side feelings of burning and pressure, although not as constant, or sever. As I have bilateral ATN, I have not been able to really reduce my medications, so the jury is still out as to whether the operation was a true success.
I hope this gave you some insight, and that you find some relief soon.
Best Regards
christine

Hi Joanne, check out this thread from Sept. 2012

http://www.livingwithtn.org/group/bilateraltn/forum/topics/curious-about-how-your-bilateral-tn-came-to-be

Mimi