Ear/hearing issue after MVD

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this come up as a repeat post. I originally listed a question regarding this in the MVD group under the discussion problems after MVD. However, I did not receive a reply from anyone. Perhaps no one else has had this issue after MVD?

I finally updated my profile. I had MVD (right side) on January 10. It is very near the one month mark. The incision is healing nicely. I am recovering but do tire easily. It seems I can stay awake (up and doing things) for about 6 hours and then I feel like I have to lay down to sleep. The biggest "annoyance" is my right ear. I have a feeling of "fullness" or that it is "plugged". It is always plugged feeling and much (if not most) of the time I can hear "feedback" when I talk...(hear my own voice in my head on the right side and can hear myself breathe). Has anyone else experienced this post MVD? If so, did it resolve itself with time OR ? The neurosurgeon will refer me to an ENT in a couple weeks if it doesn't resolve itself. At this point I don't know if it will. I am trying to be optimistic but it certainly isn't getting better. It is driving me nuts. However, it is a small price to pay for the possibility of a better quality of life (I keep reminding myself).

Hi there - I had MVD on hte 28th. I found at about 4 days post-op I had ringing in the ear on the same side as my MVD surgery. I don’t know if it is better or I am getting used to it?? Has your TN improved? Did it go away immediately?

inner ear problems can happen with MVD surgery. I had fullness for quite a while after my MVD surgery, but with time it did resolve it's self.

Hi Lisa

After my MVD my ear felt full. The surgeon had me go to the doctor and he thought we should give it some more time to see if it would clear. My ear is fine now. I don't remember how long it took, but it was still bothering me when I went back to work at 6 wks. Hope that helps.

Connie

Hi Tina...

The ringing ear is enough to drive one nuts as well. Mine started doing it before my MVD actually (after my CYBERKNIFE..but I don't know if coincidental to that procedure or not). But, I haven't noticed the ringing lately...maybe the plugged is covering that up... lol (I try to retain a sense of humor...I think most of us do).

I hope your ringing is getting better....

My TN did not go away immediately. I have read that some wake up pain free after the procedure.

I hadn't had a horrendous attack until 2 weeks post op..coincidentally the day of my follow up appt with the neurosurgeon. I was in absolute tears and a wreck that morning. He said to give it time. Now that it has been nearly a month and I can say that I haven't had a horrendous attack like that day since. I am still not, however, pain free. The part of my head and face that is affected is right upper quarter. I would say that the top head pain is not as severe... however, I still don't want to chew on the right side as right upper jaw/teeth pain and a shooting pain here and there in nose/upper jaw..teeth area. My opinion right now is that it helped..but, will I ever be able to live without meds??? That is yet to be seen. OPTIMISM I keep telling myself...

Lisa

Tina Sumerford said:

Hi there - I had MVD on hte 28th. I found at about 4 days post-op I had ringing in the ear on the same side as my MVD surgery. I don't know if it is better or I am getting used to it?? Has your TN improved? Did it go away immediately?

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am so glad to hear that the fullness went away with time...hooray! I am hoping mine does too. I think I may just be impatient..thinking I should be able to conquer the world already... four weeks after surgery. I have to learn to slow myself down sometimes (very hard to do).

Lisa

Sarah Hobbs said:

inner ear problems can happen with MVD surgery. I had fullness for quite a while after my MVD surgery, but with time it did resolve it's self.

Hi Connie,

YES! That helps a ton... gives me hope!!! HOORAY!!! So glad it went away...

Lisa

Connie said:

Hi Lisa

After my MVD my ear felt full. The surgeon had me go to the doctor and he thought we should give it some more time to see if it would clear. My ear is fine now. I don't remember how long it took, but it was still bothering me when I went back to work at 6 wks. Hope that helps.

Connie

Hi Lisa - Thanks for the info. That is of course my biggest question - Will I ever be off these horrible meds? I am trying to remain as optimistic as possible too. I am only 2 weeks post-op and I am having mimimal - medium amounts of pain. However - it seems I have a spot on my face that if I only barely brush it will send me to the ceiling and that is new?? Surgeon tells me to give it time. Did your surgeon find vessels compressing your nerve? If so, how many? I had 3 compressing my nerve so I keep thinking it will take time for healing and irritation to calm down. Glad your ear issue went away. My head is also numb near the incision site how bout you?

Tina

Hi Tina,

I am glad to hear you have minimal-medium amounts of pain rather than more than that...but, of course, wish you had none. I wish I had no pain as well. As far as the NEW pain you noticed. I have a couple spots on my face that I consider NEW (or I should say different) pain since surgery as well. Two spots on the right side of my face are achy if I touch them or lay on that side. However, I don't notice it unless I touch there. My surgeon also says give it time. My surgeon found three vessels and or arteries compressing the nerve. He said he found enough in there to be confident I will find relief. Three must be the MAGIC number for both of us. My ear issue, unfortunately, did not go away.... grrrrr..... As far as numbness by the incision site... mine is numb toward the upper part of the incision. But, like the new pain on my face.. I do not notice it unless touch it.

May we both be better soon! And, with luck, pain free. At this point, I believe the top of head pain has improved but the jaw/tooth pain and shooting pain in nose area seems to remain. I would like full relief..wouldn't we all. But, any improvement is a blessing.

Lisa

Good news…as far as my ear issue is concerned, as of the past several days, it is not nearly as plugged and I haven’t heard myself talk back to myself in a couple days. Six week follow up on my MVD today. Thus far, I can say that I am glad I had it done. It seems to have “helped” the top of my head/face pain. But, I cannot say that I am pain free. Time shall tell…

I just wanted to update everyone. My ear/hearing issue is GONE. I am so thankful for that :) The right side of my tongue is now numb. But, I'll take that any day over the ear thing :)

Wishing you all a pain free day.

Lisa, so glad to hear about your hearing issue being resolved. How is your TN pain?

tina

Lisa

Glad to know that your ear problem has went away. As earlier posted, mine went away too. I also had the left side of face and left side of tongue was numb. All of that went away too. I had surgery in May 2009 and I still get an achy feeling along the left gum(where the TN pain was) but it goes away and I don't panic about it anymore.

Is your TN pain completely gone?.

Good Luck

Connie

Lisa, I had MVD Jan. 17th. I had some ear issues off and on but they have since deminished, still twinges now and again. My face is numb along with my lip and the roof of my mouth. I am hoping it will disappear over time. Time seems to be a factor.

Keep the updates coming. I am hoping to get my MVD scheduled soon. It helps to read your experiences. Just like the TN, the recovery post-op seems to vary.

After my MVD I had the sensation of having water in my right ear. That lasted many months, but eventually went away.

Hope you get better soon.

Carolina

UPDATE: I had thought (back in March 2011) that my ear issue was gone. It is "normal" many times. But, then there are times when my right ear is plugged (that stuck in a high elevation plugged thing...like I'm in a tunnel). Also, there are times when a I get a constant thumping or humming. A few months ago I had another MRI. The "teflon" pad showed to perhaps be in a place that could be contributing to this...according to my neurologist. I went back to the neurosurgeon who informed me that going back in to do another MVD would not change anything. He referred me to the chief of neurosurgery in a major city...his "mentor" for a second opinion. I was told by this doctor that he could go in there and move the pad but it would not change a thing and I may be in more pain. Along with this ear thing... I was diagnosed with vestibular dysfunction. I fall often. I went through "balance" therapy for months. Long story short, the doc that gave me the second opinion basically told me that I need to learn to deal with it. Sometimes people are just in pain. He told me that maybe I should talk to someone about it. Okay....how many people have I talked to this about?? That won't take the pain away. I have to deal with this without any hope for a pain free life. I've tried meds (galore), injections for pain, cyberknife, MVD. Today happens to be a VERY bad pain day..thus the cause for my rant. My ear is thumping. The right side of my face is twitching (how dare I forget to mention that one). The right side of my head and face excruciating gnawing pain. I feel like I want to pull all of the teeth out of my right upper jaw. I fight to retain my ability. And, I shall continue to fight. I have had a hard time accepting my "fate" of pain. But, after so many procedures, meds and doctors...there has to be a point where I surrender. Of course I hope that one day I will be pain free. But, the reality... To top it off the second opinion doc told me...after all these years... I don't know that you have TN. Okay.... then what the heck? It's not in my head. Okay..it is in my head...but literally. Having a doctor tell you I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS. DEAL WITH IT.... a tough one to swallow.