Dysphagia

Anyone have problems with swallowing? I have bilateral GN, have had it 20 years, controlled well and no triggers, I can eat nuts, probably even hay although I have not tried that one. I have had had 2 occasions where I had trouble swallowing, no pain, just felt like there was "something there", and then it went away. As we know this is progressive and I am curious. Also I would like to talk about what you tell your physician. I hesitate to tell mine about this unless it becomes a real issue. I would appreciate others experiences.

Thank you.

I am having numbness in my upper lip. Sometimes hard to breathe but swallowing is not an issue. May you find answers

Hi. That has happened to me. I periodically have bouts where I feel there is something in my throat. Sometimes it feels like a big ball of something is sitting there and I am unable to swallow it down. I even feel like I am kind of choking. I have found that sipping water helps after awhile (until it gets better). I never told my doctor about it. I have assumed that it has nothing to do with my neuralgia. It would be interesting if it does. Then I would have learned something new today. Hopefully it was just one of those things, since it only happened two times. I hope you can find answers through others in this group. Take care. Jenelle

Jenelle, you nailed it. That's exactly what it felt like. Not a big deal, just another thing.

Thank you.

Funtsie

I had a workup for this last year . Look up "Gobus Hystericus " aka " Globus Pharyngis" . It can be caused by an anatomic abnormality --Eagles Syndrome so a CT will tell if you have this as its cause . A swallowing test was not particularly helpful for me as the dysphagia was not continuous …My ENT told me the Emergency Room would be no help as they rarely provide someone who can do laryngoscopy . In my case Eagle's Syndrome was ruled out. Recently I had it happen and it was more severe with true issues swallowing . I noticed the last time that small doses of valium ( which is a true skeletal muscle relaxer ) would calm it down : also Benedryl. I have wondered if the problem is related to the GPN …it may be related to the severe constipation my meds cause . Just recently I read where severe constipation can cause cramping in the gut and release of histamine . My episodes seem like an allergic reaction and they do respond to an antihistamine ….First up-- if your episodes are frequent you may want to be checked for Eagles syndrome .

Former Medica

Former Medica said:

I had a workup for this last year . Look up "Gobus Hystericus " aka " Globus Pharyngis" . It can be caused by an anatomic abnormality --Eagles Syndrome so a CT will tell if you have this as its cause . A swallowing test was not particularly helpful for me as the dysphagia was not continuous …My ENT told me the Emergency Room would be no help as they rarely provide someone who can do laryngoscopy . In my case Eagle's Syndrome was ruled out. Recently I had it happen and it was more severe with true issues swallowing . I noticed the last time that small doses of valium ( which is a true skeletal muscle relaxer ) would calm it down : also Benedryl. I have wondered if the problem is related to the GPN …it may be related to the severe constipation my meds cause . Just recently I read where severe constipation can cause cramping in the gut and release of histamine . My episodes seem like an allergic reaction and they do respond to an antihistamine ….First up-- if your episodes are frequent you may want to be checked for Eagles syndrome .

Former Medica

This is interesting information. Thank you for it. I have just had it a couple of times and will not go further with it until/if it becomes an issue.

Funtsie

My dysphasia issues go back to the 1990’s and are quite bad at this point.

Tried an ENT, but he was terrible. When I ended up in tears from agony in his office, he got angry and said it might be hyoid syndrome. He added "good luck finding anyone with a clue what to do with you. I can inject you, but you would likely freak out and end up in intensive care unable to breathe. You’re a woman, that’s who I usually have the problems with."

Good luck to us all on this one…

~Ellen

Ellen S said:

My dysphasia issues go back to the 1990's and are quite bad at this point.

Tried an ENT, but he was terrible. When I ended up in tears from agony in his office, he got angry and said it might be hyoid syndrome. He added "good luck finding anyone with a clue what to do with you. I can inject you, but you would likely freak out and end up in intensive care unable to breathe. You're a woman, that's who I usually have the problems with."

Good luck to us all on this one...

~Ellen
Wow Ellen!
And your dysphasia is from GN? Bilateral? I would have slammed the door on that ENT. I am sorry that happened to you. Tell us about your dysphasia, is it like a lump? Right now I have a feeling of lump and some mile burning but no pain actually. I have had this for 30 years. Hugs Ellen and prayers.
Funtsie

Funtsie:
Hello :slight_smile: As a survivor of Eagles, dysphasia is something that I have overcome. Quite a few conditions can cause difficulty swallowing and if it becomes an issue, I believe that as patients, and as human beings, we have every right to investigate and get it pin pointed so we can get back to a quality of life that is live-able and as enjoyable as possible. You are certainly worth the best quality of life possible, we all are! Every single one of us! If you have insurance I strongly encourage you to have it looked at, no matter how big or little the issue is :slight_smile:

Please keep us posted :slight_smile:

Amy Blue said:

Funtsie:
Hello :) As a survivor of Eagles, dysphasia is something that I have overcome. Quite a few conditions can cause difficulty swallowing and if it becomes an issue, I believe that as patients, and as human beings, we have every right to investigate and get it pin pointed so we can get back to a quality of life that is live-able and as enjoyable as possible. You are certainly worth the best quality of life possible, we all are! Every single one of us! If you have insurance I strongly encourage you to have it looked at, no matter how big or little the issue is :)

Please keep us posted :)

Funtsie said: Thanks Amy Blue!

:)

Amy Blue said:

Funtsie:
Hello :) As a survivor of Eagles, dysphasia is something that I have overcome. Quite a few conditions can cause difficulty swallowing and if it becomes an issue, I believe that as patients, and as human beings, we have every right to investigate and get it pin pointed so we can get back to a quality of life that is live-able and as enjoyable as possible. You are certainly worth the best quality of life possible, we all are! Every single one of us! If you have insurance I strongly encourage you to have it looked at, no matter how big or little the issue is :)

Please keep us posted :)