Difficulty swallowing

Hello to all my TN friends!! I was diagnosed in 08 with TN type 2…I have an underlying pain in my teeth and nose and Sharp pains in my cheek and ear. I had a MVD in 2010 which was not successful and have fought to find just the right med combo to control the pain. I believe my pain control is the best it has ever been. However, I am Chocking on everything, and nothing. I chock if I take bites bigger than a small baby spoon full of soft food and I often get a Chocking feeling when I’m not even eating. I feel like my throat gets tight, I have horrific pain in my throat and I can’t swallow at all for a few minutes. I have TN that affects all 3 branches of the nerve and was wondering if this could be a Sharp pain/spasm happening in my throat from the TN or from something else. Any body know or ever had this happen to them?

So sorry to hear your surgery was unsuccessful. I don't know if this is a possibility for you but I had a blocked submandibular gland just below my jaw and it caused a lot of pain while eating, moving my tongue and swallowing. Out of the blue, the gland has come down in size and does not cause me any pain now but it can become blocked again. Some people do have TN in the throat but I just wanted to let you know another possibility.

Hi Lisa26,

Do you have trouble swallowing meds? (I do)...I have an esophageal stricture and can choke on anything- and I usually do. There are medical procedures that are done to "stretch" the esophagus. Prior to having the procedure done, I'd get a single aspirin caught in my throat...I've had (6) of these surgical stretches. It's an absolutely horrid situation, especially when TN Face-Taser jolts come to say, "HOWDY!!" at the same time...I'm getting close to the end of my rope.

Rick